Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Simon Baldwin <si...@sco.com> on 1999/09/21 21:56:32 UTC

documentation/5139: The ab.8 man page contains multiple spelling and grammatical errors

>Number:         5139
>Category:       documentation
>Synopsis:       The ab.8 man page contains multiple spelling and grammatical errors
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The ab.8 man page included with the Apache 1.3.9 distribution contains a number
of spelling and grammatical errors, and could benefit from a makeover.  I've
made a first pass over the file, and have appended the modified version below.

Please consider the attached modified version for inclusion in the next
release of Apache.  Thanks, and best regards,

--S
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
.TH ab 1 "September 1999"
.\" <CVS ID HERE>
.\" Copyright (c) 1998-1999 The Apache Group. All rights reserved.
.\"
.\" Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
.\" modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
.\" are met:
.\"
.\" 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
.\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
.\"
.\" 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
.\"    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
.\"    the documentation and/or other materials provided with the
.\"    distribution.
.\"
.\" 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
.\"    software must display the following acknowledgment:
.\"    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
.\"    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
.\"
.\" 4. The names "Apache Server" and "Apache Group" must not be used to
.\"    endorse or promote products derived from this software without
.\"    prior written permission.
.\"
.\" 5. Products derived from this software may not be called "Apache"
.\"    nor may "Apache" appear in their names without prior written
.\"    permission of the Apache Group.
.\"
.\" 6. Redistributions of any form whatsoever must retain the following
.\"    acknowledgment:
.\"    "This product includes software developed by the Apache Group
.\"    for use in the Apache HTTP server project (http://www.apache.org/)."
.\"
.\" THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE APACHE GROUP ``AS IS'' AND ANY
.\" EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
.\" IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
.\" PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE APACHE GROUP OR
.\" ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
.\" SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
.\" NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
.\" LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
.\" HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,
.\" STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE)
.\" ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED
.\" OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
.\" ====================================================================
.\"
.\" This software consists of voluntary contributions made by many
.\" individuals on behalf of the Apache Group and was originally based
.\" on public domain software written at the National Center for
.\" Supercomputing Applications, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
.\" For more information on the Apache Group and the Apache HTTP server
.\" project, please see <http://www.apache.org/>.
.SH NAME
ab \- Apache HTTP server benchmarking tool
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B ab
[
.B \-k
] [
.BI \-n " requests"
] [
.BI \-t " timelimit"
] [
.BI \-c " concurrency"
] [
.BI \-p " POST file"
] [
.BI \-A " Authenticate username:password"
] [
.BI \-P " Proxy Authenticate username:password"
] [
.BI \-H " Custom header"
] [
.BI \-C " Cookie name=value"
] [
.BI \-T " content-type"
] [
.BI \-v " verbosity"
]
] [
.BI \-w " output HTML"
]
] [
.BI \-x " <table> attributes"
]
] [
.BI \-y " <tr> attributes"
]
] [
.BI \-z " <td> attributes"
]
.I [http://]hostname[:port]/path

.B ab
[
.B \-V
] [
.B \-h
]
.PP
.SH DESCRIPTION
.B ab
is a tool for benchmarking the performance of your Apache HyperText Transfer
Protocol (HTTP) server.  It does this by giving you an indication of how
many requests per second your Apache installation can serve.
.PP
.SH OPTIONS
.TP 12
.B \-k
Enable the HTTP KeepAlive feature; that is, perform multiple requests
within one HTTP session. Default is no KeepAlive.
.TP 12
.BI \-n " requests"
The number of requests to perform for the benchmarking session.  The
default is to perform just one single request, which will not give
representative benchmarking results.
.TP 12
.BI \-t " timelimit"
The number of seconds to spend benchmarking. Using this option automatically
set the number of requests for the benchmarking session to 50000.
Use this to benchmark the server for a fixed period of time.  By
default, there is no timelimit.
.TP 12
.BI \-c " concurrency"
The number of simultaneous requests to perform. The default is to
perform one HTTP request at at time, that is, no concurrency.

.TP 12
.BI \-p " POST file"
A file containing data that the program will send to the Apache server in
any HTTP POST requests.

.TP 12
.BI \-A " Authorization username:password"
Supply Basic Authentication credentials to the server. The username
and password are separated by a single ':', and sent as uuencoded data.
The string is sent regardless of whether the server needs it; that is,
has sent a 401 Authentication needed.

.TP 12
.BI \-p " Proxy-Authorization username:password"
Supply Basic Authentication credentials to a proxy en-route. The username
and password are separated by a single ':', and sent as uuencoded data.
The string is sent regardless of whether the proxy needs it; that is,
has sent a 407 Proxy authentication needed.

.TP 12
.BI \-C " Cookie name=value"
Add a 'Cookie:' line to the request. The argument is typically
a 'name=value' pair. This option may be repeated.

.TP 12
.BI \-p " Header string"
Append extra headers to the request. The argument is typically in the form
of a valid header line, usually a colon separated field value pair, for
example, 'Accept-Encoding: zip/zop;8bit'.

.TP 12
.BI \-T " content-type"
The content-type header to use for POST data.

.TP 12
.B \-v
Sets the verbosity level.  Level 4 and above prints information on headers,
level 3 and above prints response codes (for example, 404, 200), and level 2
and above prints warnings and informational messages.

.TP 12
.BI \-w
Print out results in HTML tables.  The default table is two columns wide,
with a white background.
.TP 12
.BI \-x " attributes"
The string to use as attributes for <table>.  Attributes are inserted
.B here

.TP 12
.BI \-y " attributes"
The string to use as attributes for <tr>.
.TP 12
.BI \-z " attributes"
The string to use as attributes for <td>.
.TP 12
.B \-V
Display the version number and exit.
.TP 12
.B \-h
Display usage information.
.PD
.SH BUGS
There are various statically declared buffers of fixed length. Combined
with inefficient parsing of the command line arguments, the response headers
from the server, and other external inputs, these buffers might overflow.
.P
.B Ab
does not implement HTTP/1.x fully; instead, it only accepts
some 'expected' forms of responses.
.P
The rather heavy use of
.BR strstr(3)
by the program may skew performance results, since it uses significant
CPU resources.  Make sure that performance limits are not hit by ab
before your server's limit is reached.

.SH SEE ALSO
.BR httpd(8)
.