Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2006/08/01 10:54:42 UTC

Re: Doc add limit

:
: The only output I get from 'lsof -p' that pertains to TCP connections are
: the following...I'm not too sure how to interpret it though:

i'm not much of an lsof expert either, but maybe someone else has some
suggestions -- one thing though, it's not just the TCP connections i'm
interested in, i'm wondering about all the filehandles both your client
and the tomcat server have open at the moment it hangs ... are any files
listed more then once? are there a large number of TCP connections open
for either process?

: > You are using InputStreamReader to deal with the InputStreams of your
: > remote XML files -- but you aren't specifying a charset, so it's using
: > your system default which may be differnet from the charset of the
: > orriginal XML files you are pulling from the URL -- which (i *think*)
: > means that your InputStreamReader may in some cases fail to read all of
: > the bytes of the stream, which might some dangling filehandles (i'm just
: > guessing on that part ... i'm not acctually sure whta happens in that
: > case).
: >
: > What if you simplify your code (for the purposes of testing) and just put
: > the post-transform version ganja-full.xml in a big ass String variable in
: > your java app and just call GanjaUpdate.doUpdate(bigAssString) over and
: > over again ... does that cause the same problem?

: In the code, I read the XML with a StringReader and then pass it to
: GanjaUpdate as a string anyway.  I've output the String object and verified
: that it is in fact all there.

right, but that's only part of what i was wondering about .. did you try
that last suggestion i had for simplifying the testing.  jsut and paste
that string into a big String literarly and call doUPdate on it in a loop
(completley eliminating all the other aspects of your code) to verify if
the Solr communication is causing the problem (and not some other resource
limitation caused elsewhere in the code) ?

-Hoss