Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jamie Jackson <my...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/14 20:01:00 UTC

Real Names in Log Messages

Does anyone have a way to use "real names" in log messages? We've got
our new SVN server authenticating against active directory, but my
company uses employee IDs for usernames.

I saw a post here, but it didn't have any resolution:
http://svn.haxx.se/tsvnusers/archive-2006-11/0020.shtml

Thanks,
Jamie

Re: Real Names in Log Messages

Posted by Kyle George <kg...@tcpsoft.com>.
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Jamie Jackson wrote:

> On 8/14/07, D.J. Heap <dj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8/14/07, Jamie Jackson <my...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Also, This isn't for presentation, we'd like names for day to day SVN
>>> operations. It would be nice to have real names at a glance instead of
>>> looking up some obscure employee ID in the corporate directory. (For
>>> all the same reasons that, say, we have domain names, instead of
>>> trying to memorize IP addresses.)
>>>
>>> Has anybody done this sort of hack?
>>
>> It shouldn't be too hard to do in a hook, I would think.  Lookup the
>> real name and then add it to the log message or author property.
>
> Okay, I'll look into this. In the meantime, if anyone has a script or
> snippets to share, I'd appreciate it.

I wrote an apache2 module that lets users authenticate with their username
per whatever authn scheme is being used and then maps them to another
username that subversion sees.  I think this would do what you want.  I'm
using this in production w/ no problems.  I posted it to dev@ a few months
back:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2007-04/0741.shtml

You could also use the svn-tweak-author.py script in contrib to
periodically remap the names, perhaps in a hook as suggested.  The
difference is that I use the module to map before the svn path-based
authorization module sees the username.  So if I log in as xyz with my
module in place and a mapping of xyz --> abc configured, authzsvn sees abc
as the username and so does the rest of the svn server-side (i.e., the
svn:author revprop).

--
Kyle George

Re: Real Names in Log Messages

Posted by Jamie Jackson <my...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 8/14/07, Jamie Jackson <my...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Also, This isn't for presentation, we'd like names for day to day SVN
> operations. It would be nice to have real names at a glance instead of
> looking up some obscure employee ID in the corporate directory. (For
> all the same reasons that, say, we have domain names, instead of
> trying to memorize IP addresses.)
>
> Has anybody done this sort of hack?

It shouldn't be too hard to do in a hook, I would think.  Lookup the
real name and then add it to the log message or author property.

DJ

Re: Real Names in Log Messages

Posted by Jamie Jackson <my...@gmail.com>.
On 8/14/07, Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Jamie Jackson <my...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a way to use "real names" in log messages? We've got
> > our new SVN server authenticating against active directory, but my
> > company uses employee IDs for usernames.
> >
> > I saw a post here, but it didn't have any resolution:
> > http://svn.haxx.se/tsvnusers/archive-2006-11/0020.shtml
>
> Subversion attributes log entries to the userID that committed them -
> if you used "friendly" names, you'd have trouble following activity if
> someone's name changes (due to marriage, divorce, etc.) - most
> organizations don't change the user's credentials when their name
> changes, they just update the "full name" field. And what if you have
> two people with the same name, but different IDs (2 Bob Smiths, for
> example)?
>
> If you want this for presentation of changelogs, etc., have the
> program which creates the formated log (for example, an XSL to
> transform the output of svn log --xml to an HTML page) do the
> translation.

None of us would mind if names changed due to marriage, etc., as we've
got to type our names in manually in the log messages anyway until we
get something better worked out.

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Thomas <th...@omc.bt.co.uk>.
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:01:00 -0400, "Jamie Jackson"
<my...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have a way to use "real names" in log messages?

I have a post-commit hook that maps the svn:author attribute from a
number to a name.

The relevant svn bit is something like:

 svn propset svn:author --revprop -r $revision $newauthor file://$repository

Greg
--
This post represents the views of the author and does
not necessarily accurately represent the views of BT.