Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Zohreh and Anthony Romano <ro...@attbi.com> on 2002/08/28 02:42:30 UTC

[users@httpd] question regarding generating urls

Hello,

I was taking a look at the URL that mp3.com spits out for it playlists/mp3s.
I was wondering how one goes about accomplishing such a thing:

http://downloads.mp3.com/AAIBQqdCEwBBZzbtJQGAwARub3JtUAUAAABSsQMAAFEKAAAAUzU
BAABUSQAAAEPBE2w9y1u6c7meE24Z0P5pymCG2A--/Aquaphoria.mp3

Basically I have a directory that contains some files.  I have created a web
front-end, but want to obscure the data directory structure like the url
above.  The files will mostly be documents, but there will be a few flash
files of my own design.  I would rather not have them out in the open.

directory structure of web site:
~joesdir/www_joe
......../www_joe/cgi-bin
......../www_joe/data
......../www_joe/html
......../www_joe/images

So the data directory would somehow be hidden by what looks like a generated
key.  Can you do something like this:

login, key gets generated based on some algorithm.
page is requested which is within data directory, the directory is passed
has the key as part of the dir.  Then there is maybe an external map file
that takes the key and checks to see if it belongs to a valid user.  if
successful the file gets returned as the url like above. As another user
pointed out I can use auth cookie, but I still want to be able to hide the
directory somehow.

No need to go into detail, just an over all approach/where to look on the
web sort of thing would be great.

Of course if you know and would like to share that is even better :o)

thanks.