Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Funk <fu...@apache.org> on 2010/06/08 19:14:42 UTC

JIKESPATH in setclasspath.sh

Is this needed anymore in setclasspath.sh ?

# OSX hack to CLASSPATH
JIKESPATH=
if [ `uname -s` = "Darwin" ]; then

OSXHACK="/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK/Classes"
   if [ -d "$OSXHACK" ]; then
     for i in "$OSXHACK"/*.jar; do
       JIKESPATH="$JIKESPATH":"$i"
     done
   fi
fi

-Tim

Re: JIKESPATH in setclasspath.sh

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 09.06.2010 04:58, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> JIKESPATH environment variable is used to provide path to the standard
> library files of JRE (rt.jar etc.), because the standard javac
> compiler knows where those are, but jikes does not. I found the
> explanation in its FAQ, [1].
>
> [1] http://jikes.sourceforge.net/faq/user-index.shtml#jikespath
>
> Anyway, whoever needs that can write its own setenv.sh.
>

> The latest version of jikes, 1.22, has the following in its release
> notes on Sourceforge:
> "This release supports compilation using the rt.jar shipped with the
> released version of Java 5.0, but otherwise has no more support for
> new language features than 1.21 did."  [2]
>

> Because Jikes does not support Java 6 [2][3], I think we can drop its
> support starting with Tomcat 7.
>

> [2] http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=306072
> [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jikes
>

> The following files mention jikes and will need to be updated:
> bin/setclasspath.sh
> conf/web.xml
> webapps/docs/jasper-howto.xml.

+1 for removing (finally something that will shrink a startup file)

Re: JIKESPATH in setclasspath.sh

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
[...]

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko