Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2003/06/09 22:58:26 UTC

Server Statistics (was RE: Mailet Idea...)

> Essentially, I've found the need to have some sort of a scheduler (time
not
> message based), that could report either on internal James statistics, or
> possibly a review of messages waiting etc.

You don't want a mailet.  You want a service.  Look at FetchMail, for
example, which is a scheduled service.  Really quite straightforward.
Besides, in James v3, you won't be able to access internals from a Mailet.

Before you go too far down this road, you should search the archives.  There
was a lengthy discussion of server statistics last year, with some sample
code and other directions.  It would be a very good thing to have, but you
will want to read some of the prior material.  :-)

> This Scheduler Mailet would have init parameters describing the classes
and
> scheduled runtimes (probably sets of hours etc.).  Any class that
supported
> the Runnable interface could be called.

You really want a Service, where you will have full access to an XML
descriptor.

> Are there any issues with new threads being spawned from
> within James by a mailet?

RemoteDelivery does it.  :-)

> Any comments on the above outline (as poorly as it's written...it's just
> some serialized thoughts)?

Did I mention that you want to write a Service?  ;-)

	--- Noel

RE: Server Statistics (was RE: Mailet Idea...)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Søren Hilmer wrote:

> We have done something like this

Steve Short added:

> That said, I would rather see statistics exposed via JMX interfaces, and
> then use an external tool to pull statistics when required.

Feel free to help.  :-)

Some discussion is archived at
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=james-dev@jakarta.a
pache.org&by=thread&from=225096

I don't know if Jason Webb did any further work on it.

	--- Noel