Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com> on 2001/06/21 20:32:32 UTC

Proposal to make BSF an ASF project

BSF is IBM's Bean Scripting Framework. Find a description here:
http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/bsf

Jakarta already hosts some BSF related stuff here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/bsf-doc/intro.html

To the best of my recollection, Sam Ruby started a discussion about BSF becoming an ASF
project a number of months ago and the concensus was that this was a "good thing" and
should happen.  Is that still the concensus?

If the Jakarta PMC supports making BSF an ASF project, I will work to get IBM permission
to make it happen. There is no such thing as a "sure thing" but last time I checked, I was
reasonably sure that I could get approval donate BSF to the Apache Software Foundation
(with appropriate license changes, etc.).

Assuming I can get IBM approval and general concensus from ASF developers, Chuck Murcko
and Victor Orlikowski will be involved in the project from IBM's side (and will do the
work to get the code base into CVS, set up a mailing list, and BSF home page). My thinking
would be to essentially shut down the developerworks project and migrate the few folks on
the existing BSF mailing list to the BSF mailing list hosted the ASF. And the more folks
interested in participating the better.

Please let me know if I should spend my time getting IBM approval to donate BSF to the
Apache Software Foundation.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Proposal to make BSF an ASF project

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 for BSF as a Jakarta project.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
I haven't actually used BSF for ages but when I did I loved it and think it
would be a great addition to jakarta. It sounds like you have the community
part to boot so I would +1 it ;)

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001 04:32, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> BSF is IBM's Bean Scripting Framework. Find a description here:
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/bsf
>
> Jakarta already hosts some BSF related stuff here:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/bsf-doc/intro.html
>
> To the best of my recollection, Sam Ruby started a discussion about BSF
> becoming an ASF project a number of months ago and the concensus was that
> this was a "good thing" and should happen.  Is that still the concensus?
>
> If the Jakarta PMC supports making BSF an ASF project, I will work to get
> IBM permission to make it happen. There is no such thing as a "sure thing"
> but last time I checked, I was reasonably sure that I could get approval
> donate BSF to the Apache Software Foundation (with appropriate license
> changes, etc.).
>
> Assuming I can get IBM approval and general concensus from ASF developers,
> Chuck Murcko and Victor Orlikowski will be involved in the project from
> IBM's side (and will do the work to get the code base into CVS, set up a
> mailing list, and BSF home page). My thinking would be to essentially shut
> down the developerworks project and migrate the few folks on the existing
> BSF mailing list to the BSF mailing list hosted the ASF. And the more folks
> interested in participating the better.
>
> Please let me know if I should spend my time getting IBM approval to donate
> BSF to the Apache Software Foundation.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Proposal to make BSF an ASF project

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > The common criteria that we use for any new project is to ask what the
> > existing developer and user community is like. I know that there is a large
> > user community, but what is the developer community like?
>
> BSF does not have a large developer community; Victor, Chuck and perhaps 3 other folks
> from IBM and a handful of occasional submitters.  This is definitely not a high volume
> project.
>
> Bill

+1 for BSF as a Jakarta project.

Craig

Re: Proposal to make BSF an ASF project

Posted by Bill Stoddard <st...@raleigh.ibm.com>.

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
The common criteria that we use for any new project is to ask what the
existing developer and user community is like. I know that there is a large
user community, but what is the developer community like?

P.s. I'm +1 myself and now is a better time to bring this up than before
when Sam brought it up. Simply because we are in a flame-war lull right now.
:-)

-jon