Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/21 23:55:44 UTC

Configuring SSI in tomcat 6

Hi All,
Can anyone help me configuring the Server Side Include (SSI) in Tomcat 6.

For enabling SSI I removed the commented blocks in the web.xml for SSI too
but still i am not able to find.

I tried in the google search but I am not able to get the exact answer, can
anyone give me some suggestions.

--
Raghuram Srinivas

Re: Configuring SSI in tomcat 6

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.
ok thanks I will do that.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
i make a backup of everything (with date extension appended) e.g.
web.xml becomes web.xml.22052009

once you have a clean copy configure Datasource as applicationContext-jdbc.xml
web.xml contents:
    <context-param>
        <param-value>/WEB-INF/applicationContext-jdbc.xml</param-value>

applicationContext-jdbc.xml contents:
<beans>
   <!-- Configurer that replaces ${...} placeholders with values from a properties file -->
    <!-- (in this case, JDBC-related settings for the dataSource definition below) -->
<bean id="propertyConfigurer" class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer">
        <property name="location" value="/WEB-INF/jdbc.properties"/>
    </bean>

    <!-- Simple local DataSource that works in any environment.
This uses the JDBC DriverManager to obtain connections, and does NOT perform connection pooling. Connection pooling is essential to all real-world applications.
This definition is good for getting started, as it introduces no dependencies beyond
the JDK, but DriverManagerDataSource is not intended for production usage.
reconfigure this to the DataSource you are using..for the meanwhile we'll use Spring-->
<bean id="dataSource" class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DriverManagerDataSource">
        <property name="driverClassName" value="${jdbc.driverClassName}"/>
        <property name="url" value="${jdbc.url}"/>
        <property name="username" value="${jdbc.username}"/>
        <property name="password" value="${jdbc.password}"/>
    </bean>

hth
Martin

> Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 11:59:38 -0400
> Subject: Re: Configuring SSI in tomcat 6
> From: raghuramsrinivasr@gmail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>
> Thanks for that...I modified the same thing but while inserting connection
> pooling in the context.xml...i am getting following error
>

> *Cannot establish a database connection. Cannot create JDBC driver of class
> '' for connect URL 'null'*
> wat exactly it mean..
>
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <
> Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:
>
> > > From: raghu ram srinivas [mailto:raghuramsrinivasr@gmail.com]
> > > Subject: Re: Configuring SSI in tomcat 6
> > >
> > > I am not able to view the tomcat home page.
> >
> > In all the editing that's been going on, you may have damaged
> > conf/server.xml or conf/web.xml (the latter is more likely).  Compare what's
> > in the xml files with unedited versions.
> >
> > Worst case, install a clean Tomcat, verify that it's functional, then add
> > your webapp to it.
> >
> > > In the log files too I am not getting any errors.
> >
> > Stop Tomcat, empty the logs directory, and restart Tomcat.  Does the log
> > now show that Tomcat fully initialized?  This message should appear in
> > catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log:
> >
> > May 22, 2009 8:40:10 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> > INFO: Server startup in 3670 ms
> >
> > (With different times, of course.
> >
> >  - Chuck
> >

> > THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY
> > MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received
> > this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its
> > attachments from all computers.

> Raghuram Srinivas

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.

Re: Configuring SSI in tomcat 6

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your help Charles.

I tries in this way but now when i started my server and opened the home
page ie..,http://localhost:8080/------> the page is reloading from 30 min. I
am not able to view the tomcat home page. In the log files too I am not
getting any errors.
Any idea..

Thanks
Raghu

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for that.I placed the file in this location:
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\
webapps\pvs\META-INF\context.xml

I created a new context.xml and in that i pasted this

<Context docBase="PVS" path="/PVS" reloadable="true" crossContext="true"
privilieged="true">
</Context>

Thanks
Raghu

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.
my web application is under webapp folder ie.C:\Program Files\Apache
Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps
Under webapps folder I got 4 different applications but I want to enable SSI
servlet only for one applicaiton.
for eg: under webapps:the application name: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\pvs

pvs is the web application name which i need to enable ssi servlet. Can you
help me how can i do this.

Thanks
Raghu
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.
If I tried in this way I am getting the same exception saying that
java.lang.SecurityException: Servlet of class
org.apache.catalina.ssi.SSIServlet is privileged and cannot be loaded by
this web application.

I inserted this context in seperate file..ie., under my web app. I created
an .xml file adn inserted

<Context docBase="MyWebApp" path="/MyWebApp" reloadable="true"
crossContext="true" privilieged="true">
</Context>

Still not working.....

Can anyone give idea regarding this?

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Caldarale, Charles R <

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by raghu ram srinivas <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply. I tried it by uncommenting SSI servlet but I am
getting the following error:
java.lang.SecurityException: Servlet of class
org.apache.catalina.ssi.SSIServlet is privileged and cannot be loaded by
this web application

Can you give any idea regarding this. I am trying to figure it out from
couple of days. the main thing is We are planning to migrate our application
from iPlanet 4.1 to Apache Tomcat 6.

In iplanet we used extensively SSI.

Thanks in Advance

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
any direction provided would be based on implementing SSI either thru Servlet OR Filter specifically

Servlet based SSI support is implemented using the class
org.apache.catalina.ssi.SSIServlet.  Traditionally, this servlet
is mapped to the URL pattern "*.shtml".

Filter based SSI support is implemented using the class
org.apache.catalina.ssi.SSIFilter.

i would suggest reading this rather Extensive tutorial available at
http://www.mbaworld.com/docs/ssi-howto.html

hth
Martin

> Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 17:55:44 -0400
> Subject: Configuring SSI in tomcat 6
> From: raghuramsrinivasr@gmail.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org
>
> Hi All,
> Can anyone help me configuring the Server Side Include (SSI) in Tomcat 6.
>
> For enabling SSI I removed the commented blocks in the web.xml for SSI too
> but still i am not able to find.
>
> I tried in the google search but I am not able to get the exact answer, can
> anyone give me some suggestions.
>
> --
> Raghuram Srinivas

Hotmail® goes with you.