Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au> on 2002/01/15 08:06:47 UTC

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

I am trying to resurrect this important thread from late
last year (it was around Xmas and there were no replies).

Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.
--David

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >David Crossley wrote:
> >> I am trying to resurrect this important thread from late
> >> last year (it was around Xmas and there were no replies).
> >>
> >> Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
> >> the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
> >> discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
> >> we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.
> >
> >David,
> >
> >I'm currently cleaning up the v1.0 DTDs and making a v1.1 version to
> >place in Forrest (we'll be probably be starting a full-blown xml.apache
> >subproject soon).
> >
> >I'll be very happy to integrate any suggestion.
>
> Your initial DTDs have been excellent. I look forward to
> your next efforts.

thanks.

> At the moment the only issue is why the DTD for FAQ took
> a retrograde step.

ok

> >As for the Documentation vs. Docbook DTD, I'd love to provide choice
> >instead of wasting tons of emails to convince people why one DTD is
> >better than another.
>
> The Catalog Entity Resolver will allow us to easily manage
> various versions of DTDs. If you need any help with configuring
> the catalog, then please ask.

I already did, but I'll be very open to suggestion.

> >DTDs are like OS or text editors: highly subjective to personal taste.
> >
> >At the same time, it's fairly easy to transform Documentation DTD into
> >Docbook DTD
>
> Yes, one of the obvious benefits of having valid documents
> to start with.
>
> >so I plan to do:
> >
> > light semantic markup -> full semantic markup -> presentation markup
> >
> >where
> >
> > light content DTD -> Documentation v1.1 (and friends)
> > full content DTD -> Docbook (latest)
> > presentation DTD -> XHTML, XSL:FO (rendered as PDF) and SVG (rendered
> >as PNG)
> >
> >What do you think?
>
> This sounds a good approach to me. However, i am
> unclear as to which DTD the actual xdocs/*.xml will use
> (i presume document-v11.dtd).

I'll write a small stylesheet to convert document-v10 to document-v11
and also the old stylebook DTD to document-v11 for the other xml.apache
projects and unify the DTDs.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:

<snip/>

> > Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
> > the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
> > discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
> > we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.
>
> David,
>
> DTDs are like OS or text editors: highly subjective to personal taste.

:-)

> At the same time, it's fairly easy to transform Documentation DTD into
> Docbook DTD so I plan to do:

Avalon already does so. We can borrow those XSLTs to do so.

>  light semantic markup -> full semantic markup -> presentation markup
>
> where
>
>  light content DTD -> Documentation v1.1 (and friends)
>  full content DTD -> Docbook (latest)
>  presentation DTD -> XHTML, XSL:FO (rendered as PDF) and SVG (rendered
> as PNG)
>
> What do you think?

Make sense to me.

Giacomo

Re: VOTE: Restructuring FAQ file

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: David Crossley [mailto:crossley@indexgeo.com.au]
>
> I am trying to resurrect this important thread from late
> last year (it was around Xmas and there were no replies).
>
> Does anybody know the answer to the mystery of why
> the FAQ DTD lost some excellent functionality? See
> discussion below. I propose that if nobody knows, then
> we should resort to the FAQ document structure of C1.

I agree; flat FAQ isn't the way to go. +1.

<snip>