Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/04 01:50:53 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Take 2: Open up a separate line for unstable Solr/Lucene development

I still think stable/unstable makes perfect sense - and its used plenty
in this manner elsewhere.

I think it's already widely understood that unstable does not mean
"buggy and prone to crash" in this context. It means the code is rapidly
changing - possibly in fundamental ways. Some think that it may warn
users off trunk - but if it does, thats rightly so - when huge changes
like Flex hit unstable, its bound to have bugs. Its bound to have
problems that will be fixed over time. By the time it makes it to
stable, most of the issues will be worked out, and that will be the time
that most users should be getting on board.

The stable branch's changes will be much less drastic, or "hairy". The
majority of the code will be code that has been out for a while and
proven, or new features that are built on that proven code. As the rules
of back compat are lifted, trunk is likely to become even more unstable
than it has been in the past - and deserving the title IMO.

stable: resistant to change of position or condition

unstable: lacking stability or fixity or firmness

On 05/03/2010 07:32 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> I think maint sends the wrong message, ie, dev should be active (not
> just maintenance) on the stable branch.
>
> We could just do 3x (ie drop "stable_" from it)?
>
> Mike
>
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:25 PM, Marvin Humphrey<ma...@rectangular.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 06:21:08PM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>>
>>> Can we please not use the word "stable"/"unstable" for these things?
>>>
>> One possibility: "maint_31", "maint_32", etc.
>>
>> Marvin Humphrey

- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com