Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Sampige, Srinivas" <sr...@boeing.com> on 2002/02/22 01:54:10 UTC

Configuring my own servlets on Tomcat4.0

Hi
 I downloaded Tomcat4.0 just now and insalled it. I am able to run the
example servlets. When I try to create my own servlets OR whehn I try to
deploy and run those web apps that were working on the older version
(Tomcat3.2) the new servlets don't run. Any clues? I looked at the
documentation but could not find anything.

thanks
-Srinivas

Re: Configuring my own servlets on Tomcat4.0

Posted by H Socks <ha...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I've also just installed Tomcat 4. I had a bit of
trouble at first, but got my servlets working in
the examples directory. Then I moved them to my own
application directory.

Things to look for:
1. I put a "package" statement in each servlet. e.g.
   "mywebapp". Make a subdirectory called mywebapp
   on the classes directory for your web application.
2. Set up the web.xml file for the application with
   entries for each servlet. Since they are in
   packages (e.g. package mywebapp;) then they
   will be known as mywebapp.MyServlet (for class
   from MyServlet.java).

   The web.xml file needs lines like these for each
   servlet (replace [ ] with lt and gt brackets):

   [servlet]
     [servlet-name]MyServlet[/servlet-name]
     [servlet-class]mywebapp.MyServlet[/servlet-class]
   [/servlet]

   This then hides the mywebapp subdirectory when the
   servlet is called, and the URL will be

   http://localhost:8080/app_dir/servletMyServlet

This should work!

Rob

Don't know if your problem is same as what happened

Posted by Dmitry Nikelshpur <dn...@yahoo.com>.