Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ben Bookey <be...@gistec-online.de> on 2004/06/25 15:59:00 UTC

How to handle client session information if client has sessions disabled?

	Dear list,

What is the normal way of persisting session type information if the
client has sessions/cookies disabled.

I guess if he's got sessions switched off, then session.getId() will
return null ?

The userID must therefore be invented somehow on the server, and passed
between the server and client. Objects normally stored in a session,
could be stored inside the application object ? or persisted to disk ? with
this userID.

Would appreciate any advice,

regards
Ben

Re: How to handle client session information if client has sessions disabled?

Posted by Mike Fowler <to...@mlfowler.com>.
Ben-

You need to encode your URLs so that the session ID becomes part of the
URL. Use the second line for redirects.

httpServletResponse.encodeURL("/myapp/page2")
httpServletResponse.encodeRedirectURL("/myapp/page2")

-Mike Fowler
"I could be a genius if I just put my mind to it, and I,
I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it"