Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Vasile GABURICI <ga...@ss.pub.ro> on 2000/05/17 14:06:48 UTC

Progress with AOLServer

	Hi,

	Just another obnoxius update on the JNI AOLServer plug in. I was
able to track down the second problem. To repeat it: threads hang randomly
inside the JVM. When this happens the entire JVM hangs. The reason is
definitely signal handling.

	Right now, I only have a voodoo fix for it. When a thread hags,
send a SIGHUP to the AOLServer. Unlike other web servers, the AOLServer
does not restart on a SIGHUP, it just rolls the logs. When you give it a
SIGHUP, the JVM will be magically unjammed and all hanged threads will
continue to execute normally!

	This isnt't a practical solution, but I though that I should let
you know of the progress. Can anybody verify if this voodoo works with
Apache 2.0a + mod_jk?

	Unfortunatelly a real fix is going to be hard unless -Xrs option
does magic for us. But that only exists in 1.2 JVMs...

	It would be helpful if somebody can try the code on *n*x systems
other than Linux. Please let me know if the same behaviour happens.

	Cheers,
	Vasile