Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Susmit Shukla <sh...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/22 21:45:28 UTC

Solr cloud setup question

Hi solr experts,

I am building out a solr cluster with this configuration

3 external zookeeprs
15 solr instances (nodes)
3 shards

I need to start out with 3 nodes and remaining 12 nodes would be added to
cluster. I am able to create a collection with 3 shards. This process works
fine using collections create API.
The core directory is automatically created by solr -
multishard_shard1_replica1, multishard_shard2_replica1 etc with
core.properties file containing shard and replica info

However, when I add new machines running solr and pointing to this zk
cluster, they do not get added as replicas. The new machines have solr.home
directory available but no core specific directories beneath it since I
want solr to auto add as replica.
If I create the directories manually beneath solr.home named
multishard_shard2_replica2, multishard_shard2_replica3 and so on and
provide core.properties file, they are correctly added to the cloud as
replicas.

Is there a way to automatically do it? since solr documentation says so..

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Nodes%2C+Cores%2C+Clusters+and+Leaders
in Leaders and Replicas section

Thanks,
Susmit

Re: Solr cloud setup question

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
That page is talking about leaders/followers coming up
and going down, but pretty much after they've been
assigned in the first place. Your problem is just the
"assigned in the first place" bit.

Since Solr 4.8, there's the addreplica collections API
command that is what you want I think, see:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Collections+API#CollectionsAPI-api_addreplica

Best,
Erick