Posted to users@zeppelin.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/03 09:21:02 UTC

Using Zeppelin continuously with the same UI open

Hi,

I have been testing Zeppelin in conjunction with Spark sql and Spark
functional programming. I notice that as time gets by and many calls are
made with the same session open with different codes and plots, Zeppelin
becomes very slow and eventually one gets a message "pipe broken" in the
run.

Then in order to make this work I recycle (stop/start) Zeppelin daemon and
things start working.

Is this behavior expected or is this due to excessive memory usage/GC issue.

FYI I am using zeppelin-0.6.1

Thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Re: Using Zeppelin continuously with the same UI open

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Moon,

I am using Spark/Scala code as below

import java.util.Calendar
import org.joda.time._
val option = z.input("option","2").toString.toInt
val today = new DateTime()
val minutes = -15
val  minutesago =
today.plusMinutes(minutes).toString.toString.substring(11,19)
val date = java.time.LocalDate.now.toString
val hour = java.time.LocalTime.now.toString
val location="hdfs://rhes564:9000/data/prices/"+date+"/prices.*"
case class columns(SECURITY: String, TIMECREATED: String,  PRICE: String)
val rs = option match {
  case 1 => {
    println("option = 1")
    val df1 = spark.read.option("header", false).csv(location)
    val df2 = df1.map(p => columns(p(0).toString,p(1).toString,
p(2).toString))
    val rs = df2.filter('security > "").filter('price > "15" &&
substring('TIMECREATED,12,19)>
minutesago).select(substring('TIMECREATED,12,19).as("TIMECREATED"),
'SECURITY, substring('PRICE,1,7).as("PRICE")).orderBy('TIMECREATED)
    rs
  }
  case 2 => {
    println("option = 2")
    val df2 =
spark.table("test.marketData").select('TIMECREATED,'SECURITY,'PRICE,
'DateStamp)
    val rs = df2.filter('security > "").filter('DateStamp >= "${today}" &&
'price > "15" && 'TIMECREATED > date && substring('TIMECREATED,12,19)>
minutesago).select(substring('TIMECREATED,12,19).as("TIMECREATED"),
'SECURITY, substring('PRICE,1,7).as("PRICE")).orderBy('TIMECREATED)
    rs
  }
  case _ => {
    sys.error("No valid option provided")
  }
}
z.show(rs)

Anything I can do to reduce the effect? The UI is kept open and I just run
the code again and again if I need to

Posted by moon soo Lee <mo...@apache.org>.
Hi,