Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Chris Chalmers <ch...@ecis.co.za> on 2007/07/04 10:26:18 UTC

Mina wiki: performance

Hi  all

I came across a post about a Mina performance wiki
(http://www.nabble.com/A-wiki-page-on-MINA-performance-issues-has-been-created.-tf2696965.html#a7521162)
referencing the page http://wiki.apache.org/directory/MinaPerformance.
<http://wiki.apache.org/directory/MinaPerformance>
This page does not seem to exist anymore. Has the wiki moved or be removed?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Bad performance while opening/closing connections frequently.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.
On 8/30/07, Eero Nevalainen <ee...@indagon.com> wrote:

> Hmm. Any suggestions as how to diagnose/verify this?

check /var/log/messages

I got this message from LogWatch:

Warning!!!:
Connections Rejected due to high load average 2 Time(s)
  Max. Load Avg reached: 12

Maarten

-Eero

Posted by Eero Nevalainen <ee...@indagon.com>.

Posted by Maarten Bosteels <mb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eero Nevalainen <ee...@indagon.com>.
peter royal wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2007, at 2:05 AM, gh_aiyz wrote:
>> I'm developing a server based on mina 1.03 ..........  but now the
>> performance is very bad while opening/closing connections frequently.
>> My server is designed for web page-view statistic, so it must support
>> frequent connection opening/closing,  and a throughput of 10000 times
>> / second is expected.
>>
>> Did I do anything wrong?? or is it a problem of mina? I need your help...
>
> Alas, MINA does not perform the best when you do frequent setup/teardown
> of connections, due to the latency it involves on the MINA side in the
> context switch between the acceptor thread and the processing threads.
> We'd like to address this for 2.0, but don't have any code written on it
> yet. If you want to help, that'd be great! :)

I have a related problem. We have just started load testing one of our
simple servers. Nothing fancy, no tuning done as of yet, using MINA 1.1.0.

When our load testing script generates incoming connections rapidly, our
server starts refusing connections after 400 connections. When it's done
at a slower pace we start to get refused connections after 800
established ones. I have one suspicion, but I'd like to confirm if
someone can tell me directly what's causing this behaviour?

- Eero Nevalainen

Re: Bad performance while opening/closing connections frequently.

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.

Posted by gh_aiyz <gh...@hotmail.com>.
Hi all,

I'm developing a server based on mina 1.03 ..........  but now the performance is very bad while opening/closing connections frequently. My server is designed for web page-view statistic, so it must support frequent connection opening/closing,  and a throughput of 10000 times / second is expected.

Did I do anything wrong?? or is it a problem of mina? I need your help...

Thanks
Stanley

Re: Mina wiki: performance

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

On 7/4/07, Chris Chalmers <ch...@ecis.co.za> wrote:
> Hi  all
>
> I came across a post about a Mina performance wiki
> (http://www.nabble.com/A-wiki-page-on-MINA-performance-issues-has-been-created.-tf2696965.html#a7521162)
> referencing the page http://wiki.apache.org/directory/MinaPerformance.
> <http://wiki.apache.org/directory/MinaPerformance>
> This page does not seem to exist anymore. Has the wiki moved or be removed?

I can't find it unfortunately, either.  According to the ML archive,
the page seems to have contained a few tips about performance
improvement:

* Use heap buffers.
* Use SimpleByteBufferAllocator instead of the default one.
* Adjust the default send/receive buffer size of the socket session.

You could grasp a feel about how MINA will perform when it's tuned
correctly here:

http://mina.apache.org/performance-test-reports.html

HTH,
Trustin