Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Uma Kalluru <um...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/12 12:51:06 UTC

Multiple problems with Tomcat and Struts

Hi,

I am using Struts1.x with Tomcat 5.5 and I see lots of problems in the
log file. Actually I am using Struts data source manager to create
connection pool at the startup of the server.

The application works fine for some time but after some time the
connection object is null. I am not sure how this would happen. Can
any one help me out please? This is urgent.

Below is the log file from catalina.log file

Thanks
Uma

ERROR main org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener -
Exception handling Container property change
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.log4j.Category.isEnabledFor(Category.java:746)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.isTraceEnabled(Log4JLogger.java:327)
	at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.processContainerPropertyChange(ServerLifecycleListener.java:1073)
	at org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener.propertyChange(ServerLifecycleListener.java:215)
	at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:333)
	at java.beans.PropertyChangeSupport.firePropertyChange(PropertyChangeSupport.java:270)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.setCharsetMapper(StandardContext.java:972)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.stop(StandardContext.java:4320)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1065)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1065)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.stop(StandardEngine.java:447)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:512)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:734)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:601)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stop(Bootstrap.java:287)
	at org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.stop(DaemonLoader.java:200)
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
ERROR TP-Processor15068 org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket - Error,
processing connection
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.log4j.Category.isEnabledFor(Category.java:746)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.isTraceEnabled(Log4JLogger.java:327)
	at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.read(ChannelSocket.java:616)
	at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.receive(ChannelSocket.java:545)
	at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.processConnection(ChannelSocket.java:672)
	at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket$SocketConnection.runIt(ChannelSocket.java:876)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Initialization
processed in 530 ms
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Starting service Catalina
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine - Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.15
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost - XML validation disabled
INFO main org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader - Find registry
server-registry.xml at classpath resource
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Server startup in 2225 ms
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Stopping service Catalina
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Initialization
processed in 567 ms
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Starting service Catalina
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine - Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.15
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost - XML validation disabled
INFO main org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader - Find registry
server-registry.xml at classpath resource
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Server startup in 2276 ms
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Stopping service Catalina
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper - Waiting for 20
instance(s) to be deallocated
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Initialization
processed in 659 ms
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService - Starting service Catalina
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine - Starting Servlet
Engine: Apache Tomcat/5.5.15
INFO main org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost - XML validation disabled
INFO main org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader - Find registry
server-registry.xml at classpath resource
INFO main org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina - Server startup in 5721 ms

Re: Multiple problems with Tomcat and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Multiple problems with Tomcat and Struts

Posted by Uma Kalluru <um...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

I agree with you on using container managed connection pool. I have
already setup the required configuration to use container connection
pool.

But I am still wondering, if there was connection timeout and the
first user gets an error. Why should the whole application go down? I
mean no other user can use the application after the error. Any idea
on this?

Thanks
Uma

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.