Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Ryan D'Silva <ry...@dsilva.org> on 1999/09/06 21:50:39 UTC

mod_include/4965: if server-parsed is enabled, the server doesn't respond.

>Number:         4965
>Category:       mod_include
>Synopsis:       if server-parsed is enabled, the server doesn't respond.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
No core dump, sorry.
I previously had Apache 1.3.4 set up on my computer using JServ and it worked fine.
After a total reinstall, I decided to reinstall 1.3.9 cleanly. Since the registry
was clean, I removed the apache1.3.4 directory and installed 1.3.9.
I then also installed JServ, and proceeded to test it out. It didn't work, so I
then reverted to the default "httpd.conf"
That worked (because server-parsed is disabled there).
After trying various permutations, I found out that I could get the server to work
by just commenting the 'server-parsed' line out.

My index file is a .shtml file using SSI's include and exec, but it's something
internal to apache, because the server doesn't even log a connection or an error.
>How-To-Repeat:
This should work:
install Apache 1.3.9 in Win98
enable the following in the conf file.
AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Start Apache up using "Apache.exe"
try to access any page. It should stall at "waiting for reply"
(status bar in Netscape Nav. 4.61)

I'm reinstalling 1.3.4, so I can't give an URL.

>Fix:
I don't know what's changed since 1.3.4, but it worked fine for me then.
If you'd like to see the conf file it failed on or the conf file I used
with 1.3.4, please email me at :
ryan@dsilva.org
[to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]