Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sacoo sacoo <es...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/21 17:49:51 UTC

Scanning mailer-daemon bounces generated by localhost

Hello,

It must been asked before, but I couldn't find any suitable, will be glad if
you point me somewhere...
In our company we have the (mailer-exchange -> spam-scanner -> customers
with their own mail servers) topology.
We relay mail to them but some of them don't have the spam service with us
and prefer to have it on their side, then we are all the time getting the
spam we forward rejected, our spam server generates a bounce (From:
MAILER-DAEMON@ourserver.domain (Mail Delivery System)).
This bounce keeps bouncing there until expires increasing the load of our
server.
We would like to know if there is any way to force the filtering the mails
from MAILER-DAEMON@ourserver.domain.

As far, the only guess i found was to modify the master.cf somehow from
this:
smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
localhost:10025 inet   n       -       n       -       -       smtpd -o
content_filter=

To something like this
smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
localhost:25      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
localhost:10025 inet   n       -       -       -       -       smtpd -o
content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024

Filtering the localhost generated mails.
But I donno if it's the right approach.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Re: Scanning mailer-daemon bounces generated by localhost

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> Hello,
>
> It must been asked before, but I couldn't find any
> suitable, will be glad if you point me somewhere...
> In our company we have the (mailer-exchange ->
> spam-scanner -> customers with their own mail servers)
> topology.
> We relay mail to them but some of them don't have the
> spam service with us and prefer to have it on their side,
> then we are all the time getting the spam we forward
> rejected, our spam server generates a bounce (From:
> MAILER-DAEMON@ourserver.domain (Mail Delivery System)).
> This bounce keeps bouncing there until expires increasing
> the load of our server.
> We would like to know if there is any way to force the
> filtering the mails from MAILER-DAEMON@ourserver.domain.
>
> As far, the only guess i found was to modify the
> master.cf somehow from this:
> smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -
> smtpd -o content_filter=smtp:[ 127.0.0.1]:10024
> localhost:10025 inet   n       -       n       -       -
> smtpd -o content_filter=
>
> To something like this
> smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -
> smtpd -o content_filter=smtp:[ 127.0.0.1]:10024
> localhost:25      inet  n       -       -       -       -
> smtpd -o content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
> localhost:10025 inet   n       -       -       -       -
> smtpd -o content_filter=smtp:[127.0.0.1]:10024
>
> Filtering the localhost generated mails.
> But I donno if it's the right approach.
>
> Any help appreciated
>
> Cheers

This seems to be a Postfix related question, and has nothing to do with SpamAssassin.

Maybe Postfix has a forum or mailing list?

Re: Scanning mailer-daemon bounces generated by localhost

Posted by sacoo sacoo <es...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/07, Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> wrote:

> hi --
>
> What you want is the VBounce ruleset, including in SpamAssassin 3.2.x or
> downloadable for 3.1.x here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/VBounceRuleset .  It's designed
> to deal with exactly what you're describing.

Yeah I saw the VBounce rules before posting, but those rules are to stop the
bounces reaching any of my servers , what I want to do is to use the default
filter set with the bounces my own server is generating cause of the spam
filters of my customers.
The mails generated by MAILER-DAEMON@myserver.domain contain the typical
string like
"I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not bebe delivered
to one or more recipients. It's attached below ........"
And then it contains the content of the rejected mail (might be spam or
not). In a sample case after doing the spamassassin -t spam.txt I get this
(21,7points) and I would drop the mail and avoid the overhead of my server
trying to deliver it to a non-existant source:

I cannot post the whole result because the message gets rejected as spam :P

--j.

Posted by sacoo sacoo <es...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.

--