Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2017/05/23 02:13:33 UTC

Adding roster of community-focused talks

We had a lot of great feedback about the Apache Way track some of us
presented at ApacheCon, including several people coming to ask various
speakers for more information afterwards.

Although we have a simplistic Apache slides listing, it would be far
more valuable - and we have the content - to have a curated listing of
community-focused talks that Apache folks have given, with abstracts,
slides, videos (when available) and the like.

Along with a speaker's bureau / local speakers ideas some folks are
working on, it would help to provide a listing of curated sessions that
have already been given (and perhaps where the speaker or deck could be
reused).

These listings would be super-simple YAML files of just basic data about
sessions that have already been given, usually at an ApacheCon, so we
know we could recommend them.  Any committer would be welcome to submit.
 We can work on some simple way to display these if there's interest.

Proposed location/format:

  https://community.apache.org/speakers/talks/README.yaml

The submitter field would normally be an ApacheID, and would lookup a
apacheid.yaml file in the same directory.  This allows for speakers to
use the same bio that was used at a conference, rather than just the
stuff we could lookup for committers from id.a.o

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Adding roster of community-focused talks

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
+1 to this idea

If you feel like it could be worthwhile, I gave a keynote at Scala days Copenhagen on non code aspects of oss earlier this week. Feel free to include it:

http://event.scaladays.org/scaladays-cph-2017#!#schedulePopupExtras-8158

Video: https://youtu.be/pWOxB2mcCSY

Similar video available from FrOSCon last year, German version from Datenspuren last year, shorter audio only version from fosdem this year.

Re: Adding roster of community-focused talks

Posted by Amjid Hussain <vi...@gmail.com>.
r ypu  crazy its vip hussain
( VERY IMPORTANT PACKI )
Laffing laffing laffi ggggg

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Reminder: there are several related efforts - and tools - here.

On thing I find valuable is having a consistent and public listing of
proven talks that we know are on-message, and where the speaker might be
willing to give them again at other events.  The *public* manifestation
of this is here:
  https://whimsy.apache.org/events/talks

From data here:
  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/site/trunk/content/speakers/talks/

I'm hoping to move the chunks of content (i.e. the marketing blurbs and
"why this would be great for your event") from the Google Doc into the
ComDev website somewhere, to make it easier to maintain and re-purpose
long-term.

Jim Jagielski wrote on 6/4/17 8:23 AM:
> Thanks... I added some entries. Also, I have been working w/
> some conf producers regarding their interest in us providing
> an Apache track (or tracks) to their existing confs. Will keep
> people posted on status.

It would be great to add your InnerSource stuff to the public site too.
And do keep us apprised of *which* conferences you're talking to, so we
can coordinate.  Fingers crossed we can get some tracks started!

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
What *I* would like to work on is a listing of non-technical talks by
Apache committers that have good slides, and have been presented well at
an ApacheCon (or other major event), from people who might be willing to
present those or similar slides at other events.\

Think of it as a curated roster of existing Apache speakers/talks that
might be part of a future "ASF Speaker's Bureau", focused on
non-technical talks.  We have a lot of great speakers and proven talks
they've given; but it would be helpful to speakers and learners alike to
have a better way to organize them.

Early beta version of a public listing:

  https://whimsy.apache.org/events/talks

Currently derived from static data, but would be derived from contents
of the yaml files as noted below in the future.  It would be useful to
categorize by topic, which events the talks were given at, and possibly
link this to the "Local Speakers" app other folks are working on so
companies interested in inviting speakers know where they're located
(all opt-in, obviously).

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Same here.

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <dr...@primary.net>.
Same here as well as any other content I could usefully present :-)
--
Daniel Ruggeri

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.