Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org> on 2020/03/31 03:29:53 UTC

[8.0.0] Move forward to 8.0.0. REMOVE the register and inventory permanently.

Hi Dev Team

After the experiences of removing endpoint_inventory, I found out this
strategy is successful.
Especially, we totally get rid of register, so I want to do more.

*SkyWalking 8.0.0*
First, it is already unexpected for me, we have to move to 8.0.0 so
quickly, but after the discussion with +高洪涛@skywalking
<ha...@apache.org>, and thinking about this for several days, I think
we have to.

The key chances are following
1. Remove service, service instance, and network address register. The old
register protocols are totally going to be removed.
2. The agent doesn't need to do register anymore. Service name and Service
Instance name are generated by the agent itself, but the extra information,
such as IP, hostname, language, should report to backend separately.
3. Service Traffic should be added just like the endpoint traffic but keep
the time bucket as we need accurate service name in the given duration
4. Service Instance Traffic should be added too, with external information,
such as language, hostname.
5. Trace context propagation context should be changed to accept string in
service instance name, endpoint name and network address. This could ease
the agent logic, but also, requires changes in all language agent and
plugin test tool,
6. Trace report protocol requires to change too, in order to adopt the
string.
7. e2e tests have to ignore PHP and LUA at first, and remove the 6.x
compatibility test(doesn't support anymore).

The benefits we will get are
1. Don't worry about the inventory(s) that has been deleted randomly by end
users. (We received a lot of issue reports about this)
2. The upgrade could be easier erasing the whole storage and reboot the new
one. (Users don't feel comfortable about upgrade)
3. No hot-reboot case in the agent side
4. No cache of network address register information in the agent.
5. No service and service instance cache in the OAP
6. No register lock in the OAP
7. No file buffer mechanism in the OAP too, same as no register happens.

In my mind, I think this totally break upgrade is super meaningful and will
be good change. Even we break many things, they are easy to follow.
+mrproliu@gmail.com <mr...@gmail.com> I think by following this, we need
to change the collaboration header to `sw8` :) As no 7.1.0 release will
happen.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Re: [8.0.0] Move forward to 8.0.0. REMOVE the register and inventory permanently.

Posted by Yanlong He <ya...@gmail.com>.
A great idea. skywalking-php agent will be the fastest compatible with 8.0.0

Posted by Yanlong He <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dev Team,

I upgraded SkyWalking-PHP to protocol v3[1] and it seems to be working well so far, then I will check the details.

[1]: https://github.com/SkyAPM/SkyAPM-php-sdk/pull/213 <
https://github.com/SkyAPM/SkyAPM-php-sdk/pull/213>

Yanlong 何延龙

> 2020年4月7日 下午9:26,Wei Zhang <zh...@apache.org> 写道:
>
> Hi Dev Team,
>
> I upgraded go2sky to protocol v3[1] and it seems to be working well so
> far[2], then I will check the details.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/SkyAPM/go2sky/pull/53 <
> https://github.com/SkyAPM/go2sky/pull/53>
> [2]: https://github.com/SkyAPM/go2sky/pull/53#issuecomment-610384191 <
> https://github.com/SkyAPM/go2sky/pull/53#issuecomment-610384191>
> --
>
> Wei Zhang 张伟
> Github, @arugal
>

> Daming <zt...@foxmail.com> 于2020年4月7日周二 下午8:23写道:
>

>> Hi,
>> It is good to me to remove the InfluxDB storage E2E Test.
>> I will make it adapt to the new protocol and restore it. After the PR
>> merged.
>>

>> —————
>> Daming(@dmsolr)
>> Apache SkyWalking
>>

>>> 在 2020年4月7日,下午2:56,Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 写道:
>>>
>>> Haochao Zhuang, Zhenxu Ke, Yanlong He and Han Liu
>>>
>>> I just adjusted the following things in PR tests
>>> 1. Remove influxdb storage, lua agent and PHP agent from e2e tests. Once
>>> you have done in your side, please restore these, we stil expect these in
>>> 8.0 release.
>>> 2. No need to do a reboot test. Remove it permanently.

Posted by han liu <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dev Team,

The skywalking-nginx-lua has finished adapting the new v3 protocol[1].
Thank Sheng Wu, Wen Ming, and YuanSheng Wang to review the code.

[1] https://github.com/apache/skywalking-nginx-lua/pull/30

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2020年4月8日周三 下午8:49写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by han liu <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dev Team,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wei Zhang <zh...@apache.org>.
Hi Dev Team,

Posted by Daming <zt...@foxmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.
The removal in E2E part looks good to me

> On Apr 7, 2020, at 14:56, Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Haochao Zhuang, Zhenxu Ke, Yanlong He and Han Liu
>
> I just adjusted the following things in PR tests
> 1. Remove influxdb storage, lua agent and PHP agent from e2e tests. Once
> you have done in your side, please restore these, we stil expect these in
> 8.0 release.
> 2. No need to do a reboot test. Remove it permanently.
> 3. SkyWalking 6 compatibility tests have been removed permanently. I assume
> no one will release a new 6.9 for v3 protocol, right? If we have, please
> let me know.
>

> Sheng Wu 吴晟
> Twitter, wusheng1108
>

> Daming <zt...@foxmail.com> 于2020年4月7日周二 下午1:05写道:
>

>> Hi Dev Team,
>>
>> Currently, I have upgraded the Agent-Test Tools to protocol v3. And it is
>> in service on PluginTests of the main repository[1]. As I know, @mrproliu <
>> https://github.com/mrproliu> have brought it to lua-nginx repository[2].
>>
>> [1]:https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/4599 <
>> https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/4599>
>> [2]:https://github.com/apache/skywalking-nginx-lua/pull/30 <
>> https://github.com/apache/skywalking-nginx-lua/pull/30>
>> —————
>> Daming(@dmsolr)
>> Apache SkyWalking
>>

>>> 在 2020年3月31日,上午11:29,Sheng Wu <wu...@apache.org> 写道:
>>>
>>> Hi Dev Team

GitHub @kezhenxu94
Apache SkyWalking, Apache Dubbo

Re: [8.0.0] Move forward to 8.0.0. REMOVE the register and inventory permanently.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daming <zt...@foxmail.com>.
Hi Dev Team,

Currently, I have upgraded the Agent-Test Tools to protocol v3. And it is in service on PluginTests of the main repository[1]. As I know, @mrproliu <https://github.com/mrproliu> have brought it to lua-nginx repository[2].

[1]:https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/4599 <https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/4599>
[2]:https://github.com/apache/skywalking-nginx-lua/pull/30 <https://github.com/apache/skywalking-nginx-lua/pull/30>
—————

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
This PR has been approved by
1. Han Liu
2. Haochao Zhuang
3. Zhenxu Ke
4. Hongtao Gao
5. Yanlong He
6. Wei Zhang

3 PMC members and 3 committers. Tests have been covering agent tests, e2e
tests, language agents of java/php/lua/go.

I am going to merge that PR now.

Sheng Wu 吴晟
Twitter, wusheng1108

Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> 于2020年4月9日周四 下午10:57写道:

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Posted by han liu <mr...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Sheng Wu

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
If anyone still doesn't know the PR, here is the link,

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Summary

This pull request is open for 10 days, and I worked on this 2 weeks ago.
Thanks everyone to help making this PR and tests work now.

Here are the list of changes we made in this pull request. Top 3 are the
principle changes, others are following these principles.

   1. New agent and mesh report protocol.
   2. New agent header protocol.
   3. Service register, instance register and network address register have
   been removed permanently.

Posted by "kezhenxu94@apache" <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
Zhenxu Ke