Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Ask Bjørn Hansen <as...@apache.org> on 2008/11/06 02:26:56 UTC

CouchDB not listening

Hi,

I start couchdb with the default config (just changed the location of
the log file and the database directory and log level changed to
debug) and it says:

Apache CouchDB 0.9.0a711748-incubating (LogLevel=debug) is starting.
Configuration Settings ["/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]:
   [couchdb] database_dir="/mysql/couchdb"
   [log] file="/var/log/couchdb/couch.log"
   [log] level="debug"
Apache CouchDB has started. Time to relax.

... however, it's not listening on the default port (or indeed any
other as confirmed by netstat and lsof.  Any ideas?

The couch.log file is empty, too.

This is with the latest SVN.

   - ask

Re: CouchDB not listening

Posted by Ask Bjørn Hansen <as...@apache.org>.
On Nov 5, 2008, at 17:37, Paul Davis wrote:

> $ couchdb -c /etc/couchdb/default.ini -c /etc/couchdb/local.ini

Aha, that did it.  Thanks!

The default config files are split into default.ini and local.ini now,
but the examples are not spelling out to use -c twice, so I thought
it'd pick up the default.ini from the default location.

> Note to self, should we throw at least some sort of warning if some of
> the core daemons aren't started?

That'd have been helpful to me just now.  :-)

  - ask

Re: CouchDB not listening

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
Ask,

Looks like its not correctly reading your default.ini config file.
What's the command you're using to start couchdb?

couchdb treats its config files a bit differently than most projects.

If you're specifying the config files on the command line, you should
probably having something like:

$ couchdb -c /etc/couchdb/default.ini -c /etc/couchdb/local.ini

The main idea, is that values are replaced in the order that the
config files are specified. So we give defaults for everything and
then override anything of interest in the local version. This also
allows the write-back for config options at runtime.

Note to self, should we throw at least some sort of warning if some of
the core daemons aren't started?

HTH,
Paul Davis