Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dang Minh Phuong <mp...@ncs.com.sg> on 2002/10/22 03:24:14 UTC

improve fop performance ???

Hi all,

I am using fop 0.20.4 to write pdf report for my project. But I have faced
performance problem. Every time fop generates a pdf, it takes me about 1
second for 1 page. My normal reports have about 20 pages. It means that, I
spend 20 second only for generating. Before I generate report, I also have
to generate xml from either database or from GUI. The whole process takes me
over 1 minute. It is unacceptable. I wonder if 1 second to generate 1 page
in general is normal.

Thanks for your idea.

Re: improve fop performance ???

Posted by John Gentilin <ge...@eyecatching.com>.
Dang,

I would be more concerned about the 40 sec to generate the XML

Our FOP environment is similar to yours, except for the processing time.

We generate reports between ~10 to +100 pages. Round-trip XML/PDF,
it takes an average of about 1 sec per page. On a 10 page report it
takes
about 7 sec since 5 pages of each report is mainly static XML text, once
you
get past the 30 page mark is where we hit the 1 Page/Sec mark and it
levels
out from there. The report primarily consists of a categorized matrix of
mutual
funds, so it requires heavy DB access, at least 100 SQL statements /
report

For an 11 page report:
 The FO file is 250K, PDF is 50K.
  3 Sec for DB -> XML, 4 Sec for XML - PDF
  Our DB -> XML generates FO code, we don't generate DB->XML
  then use XSL to spin the FO to then produce PDF.

We are using Xalan W/ DB Extensions to create XML from the DB code.
All is running on a Dell Laptop 1.1Ghz / 512 MB Win2K / MSSQL /
IBM JDK1.3 / Tomcat 3.3.

If you need some information on how this works, let me know and I will
try to
help you out.

Regards
John G