Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net> on 2002/08/22 23:21:33 UTC

[Way OT] Eclipse Kick-Start?

Hi - I'd like to learn how to use Eclipse to develop web applications.
 I see it has Tomcat installed under it, and there is a plugin for it,
despite the site specifically saying there is not.  I assume the
documentation on the web site is probably just out of sync.

What must I do?  Just create a new Java project and create my heirarchy
and take off?  Is this a suitable environment for developing
struts-based applications which contain JSPs?

Before some cranberry out there bites my head off, let me apologize for
shooting of such an off-topic post on a non-friday.  I just really like
what I see, but am not exactly sure how to employ it in my development
efforts.  Is everything just "transparent"?  I'm used to the Sun ONE
Studio (aka Forte for Java) IDE, and you have to explicitly say "I want
a web model (application) - use this as the base directory for my
files."  Of course, it automatically creates your strucure (standard
WAR-format), and builds a default deployment descriptor - which is
handy.  It's such a ... *beast* though.  Eclipse seems to be much
lighter on it's toes.

If someone out there has a link to a page that gives a brief overview of
using Eclipse for developing web applications, that would be ideal.  If
you simply know how it can be easily done, and don't mind to drop me an
email, feel free to send it to me directly.  I'm still digging into this
and may eventually exume some useful findings, but I would more than
welcome constructive input to guide me.

Thanks!

Eddie

Re: [Way OT] Eclipse Kick-Start?

Posted by Melissa L Kelley <st...@stuology.net>.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Eddie Bush wrote:

> Hi - I'd like to learn how to use Eclipse to develop web applications.
>  I see it has Tomcat installed under it, and there is a plugin for it,
> despite the site specifically saying there is not.  I assume the
> documentation on the web site is probably just out of sync.
>
> What must I do?  Just create a new Java project and create my heirarchy
> and take off?  Is this a suitable environment for developing
> struts-based applications which contain JSPs?

You know, I posted, and then mentioned that I use Eclipse and like it, and
then completely ignored the original question.

Basically, yeah, if you are starting from scratch, New Project, New
Package, New Class, and so on.

If you already have code, just say New Project and set the project root to
where you have your code and tell it where you want to put the class
files.

First though,
1) Read through the Java Development User Guide - this will familiarize
you with the basics of using Eclipse.

2) Visit the plug-in sites mentioned in previous e-mails and find plug-ins
you want for your needs.

3) I knew the Ant plug-in was included, but this was a little elusive to
me at first. I finally figured out that you can right click your build
file and select Run Ant. After which it will show up in the Run menu
under the External Tools - as opposed to going through and having to keep
setting up Ant as an external tool. I always use Ant to do the building of
the web app and deploying to the test servers (as well as run the Unit
tests, and so on).

--> stu: www.stuology.net
It just no longer is plain simple safe fun
when it's the psycho chimp that has the ray gun

Re: [Way OT] Eclipse Kick-Start?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Thanks Emmanuel!!

Re: [Way OT] Eclipse Kick-Start?

Posted by "emmanuel.boudrant" <b7...@yahoo.fr>.
Hi Eddie,
[...]

 Eddie Bush wrote:Hi - I'd like to learn how to use Eclipse to develop web applications.
[...]

For additional commands, e-mail:

Yahoo! Mail -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en français !

Re: [Way OT] Eclipse Kick-Start?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Thanks!   I'll take a gander <click>add bookmark...</click>

RE: [Way OT] Eclipse Kick-Start?

Posted by John Menke <jo...@eagleinfosystems.com>.
Eddie,

See this: