Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Niambh Scullion (LMI)" <Ni...@eei.ericsson.se> on 2000/07/10 11:34:54 UTC

Java Swing and Tomcat

Hello all,
            I hope some-one out there can help me , I am trying to invoke a swing applet from a servlet .now this applet works fine on its own but , when I try and call the applet from the servlet it hangs ( I am using a html converter which works fine on the standalone browser) ......I read on Sun's forum that someone else had the same problem and they were advised to check the server logs ...
my questions are
1) can tomcat  support the running of swing applets?
2) Where can I check in tomcat to see if the servlet can actually see the applet class file ........
thanx in advance
Niambh

Re: Java Swing and Tomcat

Posted by David Eisner <cr...@Glue.umd.edu>.
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Niambh Scullion (LMI) wrote:

> Hello all,
>             I hope some-one out there can help me , I am trying to
> invoke a swing applet from a servlet .now this applet works fine on
> its own but , when I try and call the applet from the servlet it hangs
> ( I am using a html converter which works fine on the standalone
> browser) ......I read on Sun's forum that someone else had the same
> problem and they were advised to check the server logs ... my
> questions are
> 1) can tomcat  support the running of swing applets?
> 2) Where can I check in tomcat to see if the servlet can actually see
> the applet class file ........
> thanx in advance Niambh

I've managed to get Swing applets working with Tomcat.  This example
is specific to netscape.  I have my application directory setup
like this:

  venice[ ...webapps/NfemMesher ]% ls
  WEB-INF/         applet_classes/  index.html       javadoc/

  venice[ ...webapps/NfemMesher ]% ls applet_classes/
  NfemMesherApplet.class   calce.jar

And the servlet generated HTML code for the applet looks like this:

  <EMBED type="application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2"
    width="400"
    height="400" align="baseline"
    code="NfemMesherApplet.class"
    codebase="applet_classes"
    archive="calce.jar"
    pluginspage="http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.2/plugin-install.html">
    <NOEMBED>
    No JDK 1.2 support for APPLET.  Too bad.
    </NOEMBED>
  </EMBED>

There may be a better way to do this.  I asked about this on the list
a month or two ago, but nobody responded.

-David

David Eisner            | E-mail: cradle@eng.umd.edu |
CALCE EPSC              | Phone:  301-405-5341       |
University of Maryland  | Fax:    301-314-9269       |

Re: Java Swing and Tomcat

Posted by David Eisner <cr...@Glue.umd.edu>.