Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@apache.org> on 2016/04/13 02:59:48 UTC

[Proposal] Stratos 5.0 - Ignite Architecture

Hi Devs,

Couple of time community were discussed about Stratos refacing to carter
new technology and threads. Yesterday I have met (unplanned meeting) few
PMC/committers (Lakmal, Imesh, Akila, Chamilad, IsuruH) offline and
discussed and came up $subject. Please share your valuable thoughts and
feedback.

Stratos 4.x and previous versions are mainly focused on run application on
top of IaaS. To support multiple IaaSes, we used apache jclouds. But rise
of the container technology future app dev and deployment will couple with
containers not VM. Because of that we have integrated k8s support in
Stratos 4.1.x release. But if we carefully looked at 4.1.x and new k8s
releases, we are adding additional layer to k8s without any benefits.
Personally I don't like to duplicate engineering effort if it does not
giving any value to community. This is the background that we thought of
why Stratos need refacing.

Stratos 5.0 - proposing name "Ignite Architecture", we though of fully
focus on container based application development/deployment.

​
We do not want to reinvent or compete with current PaaS providers. We
propose to change the strategy to support multi PaaS instead of support
multiple IaaS(Stratos 4.x). In high level, Stratos will provide unique
workflow across deferent PaaS to deploy apps. Users are not going to tie up
with PaaS vendors, they will have flexibility to use any PaaS. Stratos will
play a role in-between PaaS and SaaS. Initially we can start with k8s
(since we all have domain knowledge) then will add Mesos, CF, ECS etc
support.

User experience should be very simple. One main problem I have seen in all
of these PaaS, their technologies are very complicate to understand average
user.

This is total rewrite of Stratos. We discussed to rewrite with GO, main
reason Stratos itself should run in-side a container.

Please share your thoughts.

p.s: @(Imesh, Akila, Chamilad, IsuruH) please add if I missed anything.

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Vice President, Apache Stratos

Re: [Proposal] Stratos 5.0 - Ignite Architecture

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 2:13 AM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It's really nice to see the enthusiasm on re-igniting Stratos and starting
> a new journey. The day Lakmal proposed this I challenged the idea for
> several hours and analyzed it's pros & cons. This thread has already
> discussed those in detail.
>
> IMO Stratos Ignite Architecture should be simple enough to do the
> following:
>
> docker run -d -p 8080:8080 stratos
>>
> stratos login https://docker-host:8080/
>
> stratos add platform kubernetes https://kubernetes-master/
>
> stratos add platform mesos https://mesos-master/
>
> stratos add platform swarm https://swarm-host/
>
> stratos add platform aws-ecs
>
> stratos deploy tomcat --platform=kubernetes
>
> stratos deploy tomcat --platform=mesos
>
> stratos deploy tomcat --platform=swarm
>
> stratos deploy tomcat --platform=ecs

Added above with some small changes to the doc. For eg. we may need to
support multiple k8s runtime in same deployment.

Posted by Swapnil Patil <sw...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Hope you all are doing good!

It's been more than a year since I last contributed to Stratos as a GSoC
project. I would like to start contributing again.

I liked the idea of "Ignite Architecture". Just wondering if there are any
tasks that are planed on which I can try my hands?

Thanks,
Swapnil

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@apache.org>.
Shall we start with a POC?

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@wso2.com>.
Good article Akila. Yes, i think we need to define the scope for first
phase.

Tenant and identity management would be important with first phase, as core
Stratos services.

In second phase, we can look at few features to be implemented as value
additions, like follows.
List from Gartner is also interesting [1]. See the following list of

Posted by Akila Ravihansa Perera <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Mobile : +94714289692

Posted by Lahiru Sandaruwan <la...@apache.org>.
Hi Udara,

Posted by Udara Liyanage <ud...@wso2.com>.
Hi Lakmal,

Posted by Chamila de Alwis <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
Great to hear that you like to contribute Stratos. Definitely we will help
you to contribute. Yes refacing will make it easy. We are most welcome code
contributors also contribution can done in many ways. Please see [1]

[1] http://stratos.apache.org/community/get-involved.html

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Mobile : +94714289692