Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andrew McCombe <eu...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/20 11:20:43 UTC

Load cores without restarting/reloading Solr

Hi

We have a few cores set up for separate sites and one of these is in use
constantly.  When I add a new core I can currently copying one of the other
cores and renaming it, changing the conf etc and then reloading Solr via the
tomcat manager.  However, if something goes wrong then the other cores stop
working until I have resolved the problem.

My questions are:

1) Is using a separate core for different sites the correct method?

2) Is there a way of creating a core and starting it without having to
reload Solr or restart tomcat?

3) I've looked at the Solr Cores CREATE handler but from what I gather, I
need to create the core folder and edit the solr.xml first before loading
the core with action=CREATE. Is that correct?

Regards
Andrew

RE: Re: Load cores without restarting/reloading Solr

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@buyways.nl>.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin

Is there a way of creating/adding a core and starting it without having to
reload Solr ?

Re: Load cores without restarting/reloading Solr

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 8/5/10 5:59 AM, Karthik K wrote:
> Can some one please answer this.
>
>  Is there a way of creating/adding a core and starting it without having to
> reload Solr ?

Yes, see http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin

- Mark
lucidimagination.com

Re: Load cores without restarting/reloading Solr

Posted by Karthik K <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew McCombe <eu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter

We are using the packaged Ubuntu Server  (10.04 LTS) versions of Tomcat6 and
Solr1.4 and running a single instance of Solr with multiple cores.

Regards
Andrew

Posted by Peter Karich <pe...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Andrew,