Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/11 15:11:38 UTC

Documentation: Saving years worth of answers

I posted the following to the NuttX Google Group a few minutes ago,
but in the spirit of bringing communications "home" to Apache NuttX,
I'm posting it here.

See the Google Group thread here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nuttx/TFbL35O6-I4

Specifically, Matias writes: "Unless migration of all content from
this list to Apache's is possible I would suggest seeing if the list
can be archived somehow. It contains a plethora of answered questions
which I think are really useful for posterity. Maybe it is possible to
matias "read only" and forbid subscriptions."

My thoughts:

Among other things, a big part of the Apache NuttX project has to be
good and thorough documentation. Like others have said, the Yahoo and
Google groups do contain a plethora of answered questions and tidbits
of Greg's vast knowledge scattered throughout. This information is
priceless and to lose it will be a giant setback for all of us.

Some thoughts:

(1) Keep the Yahoo and Google groups. In case someone finds these
groups and posts in them, reply with a saved cookie cutter response
that explains that the project has moved and all discussions now take
place at the ASF lists, with all the appropriate links.

(2) Talk to Infra and see what tricks they might have up their sleeves
for archiving Google and/or Yahoo group content. If it can be "brought
home" under the ASF umbrella that would be the best outcome. We also
need the DocuWiki content migrated.

(3) Start a NuttX Documentation Team within the Apache NuttX project.
Anyone can participate, of course. This team's job is to pick Greg's
brain, search through the groups for those tidbits, organize the
project's documentation, fill in the missing pieces, and in general to
create world-class documentation for NuttX.

Nathan