Posted to npanday-dev@incubator.apache.org by Josimpson Ocaba <jo...@maestrodev.com> on 2010/09/14 06:31:09 UTC

[Discussion] Plans for Removal of UAC and VS2010 Support -> NPanday 2.0

Hi Everyone,

Here is our Initial Plans in moving forward towards NPanday 2.0

*UAC REMOVAL

==============================================================================================================================
           Class                   ||                        Location
==============================================================================================================================
PathUtil                           || components/dotnet-core
Projectfactory                     || components/dotnet-dao-project
ConnectionRepository               || components/dotnet-registry
ProjectDaoImpl                     || components/dotnet-dao-project
InstallerMojo                      || plugins/maven-install-plugin
ArtifactManagerMojo                || plugins/maven-repository-plugin
RepositoryAssemblerMojo            || plugins/maven-repository-plugin
RepositoryConverterForArtifactMojo || plugins/maven-repository-plugin
RepositoryRdfExporterMojo          || plugins/maven-repository-plugin
Reference                          || dotnet/assemblies/NPanday.ProjectImporter/Engine
ResyncArtifactSnapshot             || dotnet/assemblies/NPanday.VisualStudio.Addin
ArtifactRepository                 || dotnet/assemblies/NPanday.Artifact
PathUtil                           || dotnet/assemblies/NPanday.Artifact

==============================================================================================================================
UAC Removal Phases
==============================================================================================================================
1. We need to decide on how to "locate" an artifact/dll since dotnet requires the <assemblyname>.dll convention and maven
uses the convention <assemblyname>-<version>.dll (this was one of the main reasons for the creation of the uac)
- one of the things I can think up of atm is on the fly generation for the dll. since its just a matter of stripping up the version in the dll. I don't know how this will affect if there will be thousands of dll involve but I imagine that the on the fly process should be negligble.

2. We need to determine the effects of the removal of the UAC implementation on the classes mentioned above.

3. Reimplement the new method that we have decided on phase 1 basing from what we have found out on phase 2

*VS 2010 SUPPORT

1. Determine the new project types that we need to add
2. Add the VS2010 Framework in the components and configurations of NPanday

These 2 Features that we have determined as top priority for NPanday 2.0 can be worked with in parallel since the Removal of the UAC will be branched off from the branch.

If ever I have missed something please feel free to speak up :D

Cheers,

--
Joe Ocaba

Re: Git Mirror

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Jukka has set this up now.

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: Git Mirror

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On looking closer, I've realised the mirror wasn't up to date in the first place though... it's stuck back at the forkpoint from nmaven.

I've reopened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2989 to look into it.

Re: Git Mirror

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: Git Mirror

Posted by Lars Corneliussen <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
Hi,

RE: Git Mirror

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Git Mirror

Re: [Discussion] Plans for Removal of UAC and VS2010 Support -> NPanday 2.0

Posted by Lars Corneliussen <me...@lcorneliussen.de>.
Hi,

in a branch of mine I printed the Stacktrace, whenever some piece of
code approached the UAC.
http://github.com/lcorneliussen/npanday/commit/56420c24d4382f9bd7574cf0321a682a6467a0e3

I attached the commit as a patch. But I don't know if it applies to the
current svn revision.

hope this helps,
Lars

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 14/09/2010, at 4:31 PM, Josimpson Ocaba wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Here is our Initial Plans in moving forward towards NPanday 2.0
>
> *UAC REMOVAL

I think I've said this before, but I'd encourage you to split this into 2:

1) remove the UAC/PAB
2) remove the RDF store (dao-project)

> 1. We need to decide on how to "locate" an artifact/dll since dotnet requires the <assemblyname>.dll convention and maven
> uses the convention <assemblyname>-<version>.dll (this was one of the main reasons for the creation of the uac)
> - one of the things I can think up of atm is on the fly generation for the dll. since its just a matter of stripping up the version in the dll. I don't know how this will affect if there will be thousands of dll involve but I imagine that the on the fly process should be negligble.

When I made this work the first time, I copied it side-by-side in the local repository when needed.

Not every piece of functionality needs this though, and those that do (like test) seem to be copying the files from UAC to target anyway. I'd suggest just copying them to a location in target when they are needed for running, and that this can be the responsibility of the plugin that needs it.

To maintain compatibility, I would be very careful when making changes - if you identify code to remove, make sure it is being tested (ie, it passes the tests now, it fails a particular test when removed, and passes again when altered). This will be particularly important for the RDF repository removal because it has some sections of code like the GAC & COM reference resolution that won't be present in the Maven default resolution.

I think you could break this up into a few smaller tasks.

> *VS 2010 SUPPORT
>
> 1. Determine the new project types that we need to add
> 2. Add the VS2010 Framework in the components and configurations of NPanday

What about VS 2010 support for the Addin?

Have you reviewed the patch we have for this already?

- Brett