Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Makoto Yui <my...@apache.org> on 2016/11/16 09:33:48 UTC

Contributions during incubation

I have a newbie question about incubation process.

Is there any guide for accepting patches from non-committers during incubation.
Do we need a CLA sign for each contributor?

I saw discussion in [1] but little bit confused.
[1] http://markmail.org/message/3gqadtky66yttfe6

The conclusion is CLA is not mandatory for accepting contributions but
better to take explicit ICLA before accepting a large/important contribution (?)

Thanks,
Makoto

Re: Contributions during incubation

Posted by Makoto Yui <my...@apache.org>.
Nick,

Thank you for your reply.

>> Is there any guide for accepting patches from non-committers during incubation.
>> Do we need a CLA sign for each contributor?
>
> You wouldn't need a CLA unless perhaps the contribution is so
> substantial as to contain non-trivial intellectual property.
> Same for incubation as for a regular project.

Got it.

> The question you should always consider is whether your
> contributor should be invited to become a committer.
> If they're showing serious interest and contributing,
> the answer is very likely Yes.

Will collect a CLA for a non-trivial contribution and invite a contributor
who made such large contributions to the project as a committer.

Posted by Makoto Yui <my...@apache.org>.
Nick,

Thank you for your reply.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.