Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/12 18:03:48 UTC

XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration

Hi folks,

Could we get some eyeballs on the new ASF CMS system? We're all going
to need to update pages there, and we haven't migrated yet...

I don't know if folks've been adding recent Documentation/Content
changes there as well, but we'll need to start soon! ;-)

I've attached a coupe of lists of files that need to be merged into
the ASF-CMS documentation for FOP & Batik. I guess I need to do it for
XML Graphics as well, but that should be pretty simple!

We're getting closer to the wire, and I thought I'd ping the team
about the migration. We have some lingering issues (see below) I'm
still working to resolve, but for the most part  they're relatively
minor.

The worst issue is an IE9 scrollbar issue that *many* sites around the
'Net are experiencing. I intend to have a fix for that soon! There are
also issues with the Batik Demo, and some expanded nav blocks.

I was able to fix the FOP Compliance page, but I haven't gotten many
lurkers from folks outside of Chris & Helder...

Kind regards,

Web Maestro Clay
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://ourlil.com/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration

Posted by Pascal Sancho <ps...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I have no pref about that.

Seems like Ubuntu changes for windows buttons (moved to the left),
this just breaks the routine...

--
pascal

Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration

Posted by mehdi houshmand <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I'm going to be helping Clay with the website and I've suggested using
Twitter Bootstrap [1] to make it look all nice and pretty (read: like
Twitter/Github). Twitter Bootstrap is just a CSS/JavaScript library that's
becoming quite pervasive and has a consistent look and feel (also, the
license is an Apache 2.0!!). However, if anyone can think of good reasons
not to use these libraries, or opposes their use in any way, let me us know
your concerns.

Thanks,

Mehdi

[1] http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/

Posted by mehdi houshmand <me...@gmail.com>.
I'm inclined to agree with Vincent, that people expect to see the nav-bar
on the left. Though, looking at a few websites you can see that there
doesn't seem to be a strong consensus as to which side it should be on:

Left:
Gmail
Twitter Bootstrap
Google

Right:
Github (on your home page it's got news on the left, repos on the right)
Facebook (friends on the right)
LinkedIn (news front and centre, others on the right)

I don't know...

Mehdi

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
On 19/10/2012 15:01, Clay Leeds wrote:

<snip/>
> Thanks Clay. Once Mehdi has a handle on the merge of the 1.1 changes I would like to agree a date. For now I'll suggest a tentative switchover date of 2nd November, which is 2 weeks from today. Does anyone see an issue with that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
> I've got a launch on Nov 1. Could we push it to 11/7?

Sure, 11/7 is absolutely fine with me. Is everyone else ok with that
tentative go-live date?

Thanks,

Chris

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 19, 2012, at 6:15 AM, Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/10/2012 13:56, The Web Maestro wrote:
>>>
>>> After reseting my browser cache the scrollbar is now working in most pages,
>>> but it still appears broken for compliance!
>> Heh... yeah... That's because FOP's /compliance.html (and Batik's
>> /demo.html) are hand-coded, and didn't receive the fix I deployed for
>> the rest of the site (switch from DOCTYPE html 4.01 => html5). I've
>> fixed that for the FOP Compliance & Batik, but we'll have to remember
>> to cfix that for *all* hand-coded pages...
>>
>> Batik's Demo works in Windows Firefox, but I couldn't figure out how
>> to make it work in IE9, since the Demo applet is unsigned...
>
> Thanks for explaining. I think we will have to think about how to solve these remaining issues after the CMS Website goes live.

Makes sense. We also need to determine which files need to be hand-coded. Anything w custom tables like compliance, or complications like JavaScript or interesting styling or Java applets will likely need to be had-coded.

>>> Thanks Clay. Since the 1.1 release is expected this weekend I propose
>>> planning the move to CMS after that. I need help from the team to define
>>> exactly what we need to do. I could only come up with 3 steps since I'm not
>>> close to the technical details!
>> This looks like a good plan...
>>
>>> 1. Merge in content from 1.1 release. Mehdi will tackle this next week.
>> I can take care of the *new* files in the 1.1 directory, but I'll need
>> help merging the changed files, and adding any new files in the old
>> places...
>
> Thanks for the offer. Mehdi will let you know if he needs your help. I would imagine it would make sense if one person took care of it, but I'm sure Mehdi will yell if he needs help.

The reason I mentioned it, is that there's a process of converting xdocs to markdown, so if the pages already exist in xdoc format, it's pretty much a run of Apache Forrest to get the necessary markdown format output.

I'll await Mehdi's plea...

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Chris Bowditch
<bo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> yes the deadline is close and I was hoping to have some news for the board.
> The next report is due in a couple of weeks. SO I'd like to formulate a pla
> to migrate.
>
>>> I don't know if folks've been adding recent Documentation/Content
>>> changes there as well, but we'll need to start soon! ;-)
>
> Vincent told me he added some new content to the CMS, but we have all of
> Glenn's changes for the 1.1 release to merge in.

Excellent! Thanks Vincent!

>>> I've attached a coupe of lists of files that need to be merged into
>>> the ASF-CMS documentation for FOP & Batik. I guess I need to do it for
>>> XML Graphics as well, but that should be pretty simple!
>>>
>>> We're getting closer to the wire, and I thought I'd ping the team
>>> about the migration. We have some lingering issues (see below) I'm
>>> still working to resolve, but for the most part  they're relatively
>>> minor.
>
> I think I've found a new minor issue. The titles look wrong on this page:
> http://xmlgraphics.staging.apache.org/fop/knownissues.html

Looks like the system was attempting to link the headings, and it went
awry. I'll give that a think, but I think the solution will involve a
RegExp to replace:

# Known issues # {#Known+issues}

with:

# Known issues #

or maybe

# Known issues

I found another issue, and that is that pages often don't have an h1
(that one does). For those, I'd need to copy the title attribute to an
h1:

Title: Apache&trade; FOP: Known Issues

copy to =>

# Apache&trade; FOP: Known Issues

>>> The worst issue is an IE9 scrollbar issue that *many* sites around the
>>> 'Net are experiencing. I intend to have a fix for that soon! There are
>>> also issues with the Batik Demo, and some expanded nav blocks.
>>
>> I think I clobbered the weird IE9 scrollbar issue (Chris et al, could
>> you re-test?). I think it was entering quirks mode, and by changing
>> the DOCTYPE to html5, I was able to resolve the issue. That was pretty
>> annoying!
>

> After reseting my browser cache the scrollbar is now working in most pages,
> but it still appears broken for compliance!

Heh... yeah... That's because FOP's /compliance.html (and Batik's
/demo.html) are hand-coded, and didn't receive the fix I deployed for
the rest of the site (switch from DOCTYPE html 4.01 => html5). I've
fixed that for the FOP Compliance & Batik, but we'll have to remember
to cfix that for *all* hand-coded pages...

Batik's Demo works in Windows Firefox, but I couldn't figure out how
to make it work in IE9, since the Demo applet is unsigned...

>> I also believe I resolved the FOP navigation collapse/expand issue.
>> For some reason MarkDown wasn't honoring my unordered listing levels
>> (spaces aren't always spaces?), but I ended up improving the jQuery so
>> it could handle 'n' nested levels in the process. This was another
>> pretty annoying 'bug' I discovered, that I could've lived without
>> needing to resolve. Sheesh!
>

> I've retested and the expand/collapse seems to be working fine now :-)
> That's great work Clay.

Great!

>>> I was able to fix the FOP Compliance page, but I haven't gotten many
>>> lurkers from folks outside of Chris & Helder...
>>
>> I also created a Batik Download page, since the current CGI-based one
>> wasn't working quite right. The new one is based off the FOP Download
>> page, so I'd appreciate it if a Batik'er could double-check that I
>> haven't munged anything too badly.
>

> Thanks Clay. Since the 1.1 release is expected this weekend I propose
> planning the move to CMS after that. I need help from the team to define
> exactly what we need to do. I could only come up with 3 steps since I'm not
> close to the technical details!

This looks like a good plan...

> 1. Merge in content from 1.1 release. Mehdi will tackle this next week.

I can take care of the *new* files in the 1.1 directory, but I'll need
help merging the changed files, and adding any new files in the old
places...

> 2. Technical stuff to do the switch (Clay can you expand on what we need to
> do)? Do I have a volunteer for this?

Not too much technical about it (if I handle the *new* files in the
1.1 dir... ;-). Just figure out which files changed between
20120201-201211.

Also, if there are new files outside of the 1.1 DEV dir, send them to
me, so I can take care of those as well...

> 3. Team to fix outstanding minor issues, such as IE9 scrollbar. This will be
> done on a ongoing basis rather than to a fixed deadline.

IE9 scrollbar is fixed for all of the site's dynamic pages, plus FOP
Compliance & Batik Demo. I don't think there are any other hand-coded
pages, but they would require the same fix, although the CMS now
generates html5, so it should be easier...

I think I'm going to keep ye olde src/xdocs around for a few months,
in case we want them for some purpose (I can't think of any off-hand,
but who knows!)

> I don't think we should have a formal vote to accept the website in its new
> form since the reason for the change is a mandate from the board and the PMC
> can't go against that. Folks have had plenty of opportunites to review the
> new website by now and although there are still some outstanding minor
> issues we are forced to fix them later by the looming board enforced
> deadline.

Sounds good!

We'll be good to go in no time!

Web Maestro Clay

Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Clay,

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> wrote:
> How do you plan to handle the upcoming XGC1.5 and FOP1.1 release doc
> changes? They will need to get deployed, then merged with trunks, then
> redeployed. After that, they can be reintegrated into your CMS sources I
> guess. Is that what you expect?

I just checked the 'commons-1_5' branch (except for Trademarks being
added to the files, which I've got in my files... and the 'News'
update). There don't appear to be any other documentation changes that
require merging.

I've also gone through and added modifications for XML Graphics site,
and Batik site (there weren't many...).

If anyone's curious, I used variations of this SVN command:

svn log \
 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/branches/commons-1_5/src/documentation/content/xdocs/
\
 -qv -r {2012-02-01}:{2012-10-11} > ~/Desktop/asf-cms-XMLGraphics-log2.txt

I haven't gone through FOP for merge modifications yet... I might wait
until after the release... I imagine we'll want to launch the new site
relatively soon after the FOP 1.1 Release, and perhaps before the FOP
1.2 (or will it be 2.0? ;-)...

Cheers!

Clay

Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration

Posted by Clay Leeds <th...@gmail.com>.
On Oct 12, 2012, at 6:59 PM, Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com> wrote:
> How do you plan to handle the upcoming XGC1.5 and FOP1.1 release doc
> changes? They will need to get deployed, then merged with trunks, then
> redeployed. After that, they can be reintegrated into your CMS sources I
> guess. Is that what you expect?

That's pretty much what I expected. They need to be made in tandem...

You're welcome to test out making the changes in the CMS along side the trunk changes... ;-)

Clay

Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.
How do you plan to handle the upcoming XGC1.5 and FOP1.1 release doc
changes? They will need to get deployed, then merged with trunks, then
redeployed. After that, they can be reintegrated into your CMS sources I
guess. Is that what you expect?