Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2010/12/10 16:58:57 UTC

[Httpd Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by jmcg

Dear Wiki user,

The "FAQ" page has been changed by jmcg.
The comment on this change is: Removing some outdated ``facts''..
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/FAQ?action=diff&rev1=24&rev2=25

  Each log file requires a file descriptor, which means that if you are using separate access and error logs for each virtual host, each virtual host needs two file descriptors. Each Listen directive also needs a file descriptor.

- Typical values for <n> that we've seen are in the neighborhood of 128 or 250. When the server bumps into the file descriptor limit, it may dump core with a SIGSEGV, it might just hang, or it may limp along and you'll see (possibly meaningful) errors in the error log. One common problem that occurs when you run into a file descriptor limit is that CGI scripts stop being executed properly.
+ Typical values for <n> that we've seen are in the neighborhood of 1024 or 2048. When the server bumps into the file descriptor limit, it may dump core with a SIGSEGV, it might just hang, or it may limp along and you'll see (possibly meaningful) errors in the error log. One common problem that occurs when you run into a file descriptor limit is that CGI scripts stop being executed properly.

  As to what you can do about this:

   Reduce the number of Listen directives:: If there are no other servers running on the machine on the same port then you normally don't need any Listen directives at all. By default Apache listens to all addresses on port 80.
   Reduce the number of log files:: You can use mod_log_config to log all requests to a single log file while including the name of the virtual host in the log file. You can then write a script to split the logfile into separate files later if necessary. Such a script is provided with the Apache distribution in the src/support/split-logfile file.
   Increase the number of file descriptors available to the server:: (see your system's documentation on the limit or ulimit commands). For some systems, information on how to do this is available in the performance hints page. There is a specific note for FreeBSD below.
- For Windows 95, try modifying your C:\CONFIG.SYS file to include a line like
-
- FILES=300
-
- Remember that you'll need to reboot your Windows 95 system in order for the new value to take effect.

   "Don't do that" - try to run with fewer virtual hosts::
  Spread your operation across multiple server processes (using Listen for example, but see the first point) and/or ports.
@@ -267, +262 @@

  == Why does Apache send a cookie on every response? ==
  Apache does not automatically send a cookie on every response, unless you have re-compiled it with the mod_usertrack module, and specifically enabled it with the CookieTracking directive. This module may help track users, and uses cookies to do this. If you are not using the data generated by mod_usertrack, do not compile it into Apache.

+ == Why don't my cookies work? ==
+ Apache httpd passes on your Set-Cookie header, like any other header. If cookies do not work it will be because your script does not work properly or your browser does not use cookies or is not set-up to accept them.
- == Why don't my cookies work, I even compiled in mod_cookies? ==
- Firstly, you do not need to compile in mod_cookies in order for your scripts to work (see the previous question for more about mod_cookies). Apache passes on your Set-Cookie header fine, with or without this module. If cookies do not work it will be because your script does not work properly or your browser does not use cookies or is not set-up to accept them.
-
-
- == How do I get Apache to send a MIDI file so the browser can play it? ==
- Even though the registered MIME type for MIDI files is audio/midi, some browsers are not set up to recognize it as such; instead, they look for audio/x-midi. There are two things you can do to address this:
-
-  Configure your browser to treat documents of type audio/midi correctly:: This is the type that Apache sends by default. This may not be workable, however, if you have many client installations to change, or if some or many of the clients are not under your control.
-  Instruct Apache to send a different Content-type header for these files:: by adding the following line to your server's configuration files:
- AddType audio/x-midi .mid .midi .kar
-
- Note that this may break browsers that do recognize the audio/midi MIME type unless they're prepared to also handle audio/x-midi the same way.

  == How do I add browsers and referrers to my logs? ==
  Apache provides a couple of different ways of doing this. The recommended method is to compile the mod_log_config module into your configuration and use the CustomLog directive.