Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2007/04/04 23:57:32 UTC

Caching in QueryFilter - why?

Hi,

I'm looking at LUCENE-853, so I also looked at CachingWrapperFilter and then at QueryFilter.  I noticed QueryFilter does its own BitSet caching, and the caching part of its code is nearly identical to the code in CachingWrapperFilter.

Why is that?  Is there a good reason for that?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Caching in QueryFilter - why?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
CachingWrapperFilter came along after QueryFilter.  I think I added
CachingWrapperFilter when I realized that every Filter should have
the capability to be cached without having to implement it.  So, the
only reason is "legacy".  I'm perfectly fine with removing the
caching from QueryFilter in a future major release.

	Erik