Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com> on 2003/04/04 22:53:46 UTC

TEI and cocoon

I am having some issues using the TEI (http://www.tei-c.org/Lite/)
stylesheets (http://www.tei-c.org/Stylesheets/teixsl.html) to convert the
XML to HTML. After much searching I found a document on the cocoon wiki
discussing the xsl:output tag and how it cannot be used in cocoon -
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XSLT.

This tag is extensively used in the TEI stylesheets, so I wanted to find out
if others had used these stylesheets and modified them or if they had their
own which work with the TEI Lite DTD.

Thanks in advance,
Warner

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
On 4/4/03 2:05 PM, "Upayavira" <uv...@upaya.co.uk> wrote:

>> I am having some issues using the TEI (http://www.tei-c.org/Lite/)
>> stylesheets (http://www.tei-c.org/Stylesheets/teixsl.html) to convert
>> the XML to HTML. After much searching I found a document on the cocoon
>> wiki discussing the xsl:output tag and how it cannot be used in cocoon
>> - http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=XSLT.
>
> It's not that it won't work, more that you shouldn't be using it for certain
> functionality.
> Therefore, if it is in an existing stylesheet, you might well find it works
> anyway.
>
> Can you say more about what the problems are that you're having?

Sure, I am using Cocoon 2.0.4, I have my config something like this (it's at
work, but it should be close):
Xml directory - content
Xsl directory - transforms

There is one master xsl stylesheet which is mapped in the sitemap conf. All
xml in content are mapped to this stylesheet.

Originally when I was calling the xml doc I was getting a weird xalan
exception, so I switched over to saxon 6.5.2 as my processor. Now what is
happening is I am getting an empty html doc returned (with just the most
basic html tags nothing else) and a real file is being generated in my
content directory.

Let me know if anything I said is unclear.

-warner

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
Ok, finally got some more digging done and now I am actually getting an
error which somewhat explains why I am getting a blank html file (but not
why it isn't actually processing the xml and spitting it back to me).

In one of my log files for the servlet container I am getting a
java.lang.IllegalStateException - committed. This is occurring in the
resetbuffer. After doing some reading it appears that something is trying to
reset the headers after they've been sent, so cocoon just returns an empty
document.

Still trying to figure out what in the world these stylesheets are doing.

-warner

Re: Fixed - TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
Well, after switching back to the original xalan/xerces jars and still
getting an empty page (literally no html). I decided to go trolling through
the xsl. Apparently TEI really wants to write out the html files as there
are several places that use either custom saxon tags or custom exslt (xslt
extenstions) to allow the stylesheets to output html.

Once I commented out all those sections I finally got some output, not bad,
I still want to do some tweaking on it.

Thanks for the help with this.

-warner

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.

RE: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
On 4/11/03 10:22 PM, "Conal Tuohy" <co...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Walter - it looks totally straightforward. I think you're doing everything
> fine.
>
> Can you use the stylesheets successfully from the command-line? i.e. outside
> of Cocoon. Try running them using Xalan from a command-line and see if you
> get any results - at least a better error message. :-)

Yes, these templates are currently in production using Saxon.

RE: TEI and cocoon

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
On 4/10/03 10:10 PM, "Conal Tuohy" <co...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>>> I'm using Sebastian Rahtz's stylesheets: "teixsl-html"
>>
>> Are these the same stylesheets from TEI's website?
>
> Yes.
>
>>> How are you calling the stylesheets, Warner? Do you pass
>> any parameters?
>>
>> I have setup a pipeline with a match statement, the content
>> files (xml) are
>> in content and the xsl stylesheets are in transforms. I just
>> do a straight
>> pass to a custom stylesheet custom.xsl which has the following in it:
>> First it imports teihtmll.xsl
>> Then it sets up several variables and three parameters.
>>
>> If you want I can attach and send the file for further examination.
>
> I suggest you should post the pipeline from your sitemap, and your top-level
> stylesheet, if that also passes parameters.
> What parameters are you passing to to Sebastian's style-sheets?

You'll see those in the attached top-level stylesheet. Here is the pipeline
snippet:
        <map:pipeline>
            <map:match pattern="content/*.html">
                <map:generate src="content/{1}.xml"/>
                <map:transform src="transforms/water.xsl"/>
                <map:serialize/>
            </map:match>
        </map:pipeline>

As you can see the pipeline itself is rather benign. I have been walking
through the developerworks tutorial on cocoon2.

-warner

RE: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.

Re: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Warner Onstine <sw...@warneronstine.com>.
On 4/9/03 8:00 PM, "Conal Tuohy" <co...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Warner Onstine wrote:
>
>> I completely misread your response. I thought you said that
>> there were XSL
>> stylesheets on the site (which there aren't).
>>
>> Which stylesheets are you using?
>
> I'm using Sebastian Rahtz's stylesheets: "teixsl-html"

Are these the same stylesheets from TEI's website?

> How are you calling the stylesheets, Warner? Do you pass any parameters?

I have setup a pipeline with a match statement, the content files (xml) are
in content and the xsl stylesheets are in transforms. I just do a straight
pass to a custom stylesheet custom.xsl which has the following in it:
First it imports teihtmll.xsl
Then it sets up several variables and three parameters.

If you want I can attach and send the file for further examination.

Thank you for your assistance it is greatly appreciated.

-warner

RE: TEI and cocoon

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.

Re: TEI and cocoon