Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2000/11/07 08:59:04 UTC

Re: Xalan online documentation

Richard Robinson at richardr@ldr.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am very grateful for the Apache Group, the Xerces-Java
> XML processor, and Xalan-Java. I noticed an errata in the
> Xalan online docs and thought I'd pass it on to you. It
> might help a newbie (such as myself).
>
> On the Basic Usage Patterns page, under the heading of
> "Using a stylesheet file to transform an XML source file into
> an output file", it has this line:
>
> // Use XSLTProcessorFactory to instantiate an XSLTProcessor.
> org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessor processor
> =
>
> org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessorFactory.getProcessor();
>
> XSLTProcessorFactory is a method, not a field. So it should be
> as follows:
>
> XSLTProcessorFactory().getProcessor()
>
> Keep up the great work.
>
> Also, just a thought. The online documentation headings look
> great with white text on blue background. But when you print
> the pages the white text on blue background doens't show up
> at all. Black text doesn't look as stylish, but it is more functional
> when printing the page. Just a thought.
>
> --
> Richard Robinson, Web Administrator
> Litho Development & Research
> richardr@LDR.com, 503-255-5800 x172
> http://www.LDR.com

> #1 NETWORK ONLINE CATALOG
>
> Visit our #1 Network Online Catalog at http://www.no1network.com
> with nearly 10,000 items to choose from: inkjet and toner cartridges,
> paper, film, plates, chemistry, scanners, digital cameras,
> printers, mice, keyboards, backup devices and media. Top quality,
> name-brand products at low prices.

Passed on to the developers...

    Pier (the switchboard!)

--
Pier P. Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: Xalan online documentation

Posted by Barry Draper <ba...@informix.com>.
This is just a clarification to Gary's answer.

An XSLTProcessorFactory object doesn't have to exist to call method
getProcessor()
because getProcessor() is a static method. Static methods are called
through a class,
not an instance of a class.

Barry

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
"Pier P. Fumagalli" wrote:
> Richard Robinson at richardr@ldr.com wrote:
> > On the Basic Usage Patterns page, under the heading of
> > "Using a stylesheet file to transform an XML source file into
> > an output file", it has this line:
> >
> > // Use XSLTProcessorFactory to instantiate an XSLTProcessor.
> > org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessor processor
> > =
> >
> > org.apache.xalan.xslt.XSLTProcessorFactory.getProcessor();
> >
> > XSLTProcessorFactory is a method, not a field. So it should be
> > as follows:
> >
> > XSLTProcessorFactory().getProcessor()

Pier --

The documentation looks correct to me.  org.apache.xalan.xslt is the
name of the package in which XSLTProcessorFactory resides.  By prefixing
the class name with the package name, you are just specifying a fully
qualified class name.  There are no references to any fields here.

Gary