Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2018/12/11 05:27:40 UTC

[DISCUSS] Move Xalan project into the Attic

Hi!

it seems that despite all the efforts, at this point we only have 2 PMC members
who are willing to continue governing Xalan: Michael and Gary.

Unfortunately, this means that unless somebody steps up and joins the PMC, we will
have to proceed with moving Xalan to ASF's attic soon:
     http://attic.apache.org/

Note, that the project can always be revived should at least 3 active PMC members
materialize in the future, but it behoves us to be honest with our users and signal when
there's not enough current activity to keep the project going.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Xalan project into the Attic

Posted by Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net>.
Likewise I agree.  However, I think I should mention that my primary
interest is keeping Xalan buildable and deployable on contemporary
systems, merging the extant patchset and later the cmake build, and that
I don't anticipate having the capacity to do much more than that.  This
is basically what I'm already doing for Xerces-C++.

Kind regards,
Roger

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.
I agree with that plan.

Bill

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 05:41:00PM -0000, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Roger, Bill, Gary,
>
> I think a solution where we re-boot the PMC with just the 3 of you
> will be a great way to keep the project going. Don't worry about the
> fact that you may be only overseeing C++ parts of it -- projects evolve
> over time and if all that is left of Xalan is C++ part -- that's still way better
> than nothing.
>
> If you agree with this plan -- please reply to the thread and we can proceed.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman (on behalf of ASF board)
>

> On 2018/12/11 20:54:50, Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net> wrote:
> > Likewise, I currently maintain patchsets for private use and for
> > homebrew, vcpkg, BSD ports etc.  All these patches should have been
> > upstreamed, and I've posted some of them here over the years, with zero
> > interest observed in having them merged and released.  I've also written
> > a complete CMake build so it will build on all contemporary platforms,
> > as I already did for Xerces-C++.  I'll be happy to spend the time to get
> > this into a fully tested and releasable state.  But it does require
> > commitment from the Xalan project to review and commit it, or permit me
> > or others who care about it to do so ourselves.
> >
> > Like Bill, I'm a C++ user, and would primarily be looking at the C++
> > code only.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Roger
> >
> > On 11/12/2018 20:49, Bill Blough wrote:
> > > I currently maintain the packaging for the Xalan C++ codebase in
> > > Debian.  I also use Xalan C++  extensively at my day job.
> > >
> > > At one point, Steven Hathaway and I privately discussed me becoming a
> > > committer for the project.  However at that time, I was unable to take
> > > on any more commitments, so I had to decline.  This was a few years ago.
> > >
> > > It light of the current discussion (and changes to my workload since
> > > then), I would be willing to allocate some of my time to helping
> > > keep Xalan alive.  However, this would be primarily on the C++ codebase, as
> > > I don't really have the expertise to contribute to the Java codebase.
> > >
> > > I would also be willing to help with the PMC if desired.  I am currently
> > > a committer and PMC member for the Apache Axis2 project.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Bill

GPG: 5CDD 0C9C F446 BC1B 2509  8791 1762 E022 7034 CF84

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Xalan project into the Attic

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Michael.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 10:17 PM Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Hi Mukul,
>
> I had been planning to nominate both you and Roger to the PMC and as
> committers for quite some time. The project desperately needs more active
> folks. I haven't been active much lately, but I'd be happy to stick around
> if there's another reboot in the works.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Technologies and WAS Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Xalan project into the Attic

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Mukul,

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <ga...@gmail.com>.
Dear Roman,
    I'll be talking about my work with XalanJ. I'm not sure, if I'm
qualified to become a Xalan committer or PMC member. But I've long
association using Xalan (15+ years). I've developed nearly uncountable XSLT
stylesheets with Xalan, and have used most of advanced parts of Xalan. In
the past I've successfully built Xalan from its sources, and have submitted
few Xalan patches in the past.

Given a chance to become XalanJ committer or a PMC member (I'm fine with
only a committer status, if there are sufficient existing PMC members), I
can ensure good work (functional as well as quality) from my side.

I'm currently a XercesJ committer and member of Xerces PMC.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:11 PM Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Roger, Bill, Gary,
>
> I think a solution where we re-boot the PMC with just the 3 of you
> will be a great way to keep the project going. Don't worry about the
> fact that you may be only overseeing C++ parts of it -- projects evolve
> over time and if all that is left of Xalan is C++ part -- that's still way
> better
> than nothing.
>
> If you agree with this plan -- please reply to the thread and we can
> proceed.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman (on behalf of ASF board)

Mukul Gandhi

Re: [DISCUSS] Move Xalan project into the Attic

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:41 AM Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> Roger, Bill, Gary,
>
> I think a solution where we re-boot the PMC with just the 3 of you
> will be a great way to keep the project going. Don't worry about the
> fact that you may be only overseeing C++ parts of it -- projects evolve
> over time and if all that is left of Xalan is C++ part -- that's still way
> better
> than nothing.
>
> If you agree with this plan -- please reply to the thread and we can
> proceed.

Sounds reasonable. My interest was on the Java side FWIW.

Gary

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Roger, Bill, Gary,

Posted by Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net>.

Posted by Bill Blough <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, sadly we may be getting to this point.

While I RM'd the last release, 2.7.2, there are pending patches that I have
not taken the time to handle. I do not see this changing too much soon.

Another issue is the lack of knowledge of what is in what branch and
general build knowledge. I've asked several times on the ML but no one
seems to be around any more.

The project could use more work since it has fallen behind standards.

At this point, I would have to recommend Saxon-HE for better standards
support.

Gary

Posted by sh...@e-z.net.
> Hi!
>
> it seems that despite all the efforts, at this point we only have 2 PMC
> members
> who are willing to continue governing Xalan: Michael and Gary.
>
> Unfortunately, this means that unless somebody steps up and joins the PMC,
> we will
> have to proceed with moving Xalan to ASF's attic soon:
>      http://attic.apache.org/
>
> Note, that the project can always be revived should at least 3 active PMC
> members
> materialize in the future, but it behoves us to be honest with our users
> and signal when
> there's not enough current activity to keep the project going.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

As the current PMC chair for Xalan, I no longer have the time to
perform the requirements of the chair.

I am hopeful that I can still provide some time to integrate some
patches to Xalan-C++ and keep the library buildable.

My time to commit to the project is extremely limited.  I am willing
to resign and allow another person to hold the helm of Apache Xalan.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway