Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Petar <op...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/16 06:35:20 UTC

Streaming vs. progressive XML parsing

I read numerous posts on the issue of streaming XML into a SAX parser and on
progressive XML parsing.

Progressive parsing works great but it sill requires all of the XML upfront (be
it in a file be it in a memory buffer).

Streaming of XML into a SAX parser doesn't seem to be addressed by Xerces out
of the box.  This seems to me like a very common scenario when dealing with
large XML data.  Most posts that discuss streaming of XML propose possible
modifications to MemBufInputSource and BinInputSource in order to address this
issue.  Has anybody implemented such solutions and is willing to share it with
others?  If not, let's see if we can come up with something so that we don't
have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks,
Petar

Re: Streaming vs. progressive XML parsing

Posted by Stefan A Letz <st...@de.ibm.com>.
Petar,

I see no problem with streaming XML data into the Xerces SAX / DOM parser.
For my purposes, I implemented a new BinInputStream along with a new
InputSource. The InputSource creates an instance of this BinInputStream
for the parser, and the BinInputStream provides the parser with XML data
as it is available.

I'm not sure what you refering to with "progressive parsing", could you
please explain that to me?

Best regards,

Stefan.