Posted to users@ace.apache.org by Guy Davis <gu...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/05 23:07:45 UTC

ACE 2.0.1 web UI not showing associations after drag?

Good day,

I've been following the Getting Started guide and have had trouble getting
the expected behavior from the web UI.  In particular, I can drag an
artifact to a feature, then that to the distribution, etc but I'm not
seeing the same node expansion showing mappings after the dragging:

[image: Inline image 1]

Following through the workflow I can push the HelloWorldBundle out to the
target and see it's start() get called.  However, I think perhaps my
browser is not supported by the web UI as I was expecting more visual
feedback of the mappings.  I'm using Chrome 35.0.1916.114 m and also MS IE
10.0.9200...

As context, I'm evaluating using Apache ACE as a means of modular component
deployment at customer sites where they are running  JBoss application
server(s).  I'd like to integrate the ACE server into our current admin
console app on the master JBoss server.  Each cluster node would have an
embedded instance of the ACE (client/target), polling for updates.  Each
customer site would be either internal VMs or cloud systems.  The bundles
would simply consist of files destined to be deployed into the appropriate
JBoss folders along with execution of custom upgrade logic (Java, Ant,
etc). Back on our corporate network, we'd have a OBR repository configured
with versions of all our deployable apps and components.  The ACE servers
out at customer sites would pull down from this central repository.

Something like this:
[image: Inline image 2]

The plugin model of pulling from a single Update Center is similar to
functionality built into apps like Sonar and Jenkins.  I'd appreciate any
feedback on this idea.  Is Apache ACE a reasonable fit here?

Thanks in advance,
Guy

Re: ACE 2.0.1 web UI not showing associations after drag?

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Guy,

On 05 Jun 2014, at 23:33 , Guy Davis <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response.  Sorry about the images I included not
> getting through.  After adding more items into the various columns of the
> Apache ACE web UI, I now see that a row highlighting approach is being used
> to indicate the contains relation.  Makes sense now that I see it with
> other items not selected for context.

Excellent!

> Ideally, I'd like to reuse this web UI inside our current admin console,
> possibly as an iframe.

That should work.

> I'm not sure that customer system admins will want
> to  work at the level of artifacts however, which I understand to be the
> items offered up by the OBR.  It would be nice to offer them a list of
> available features and/or distributions (aka products @ version).  Perhaps
> I just need to think more about the packaging levels however.

We started work on role based access to the UI. Part of that is an option to “hide” certain columns for certain roles. This is intended to help sysadmins to just deal with for example assigning features to targets, and having the software architect just preparing artifacts, features and distributions.

It might require a bit of work to make that happen though.

> Regarding embedding ACE (server and target) into each existing JBoss
> server, is this possible?  Ideally, I'd like to use the existing JBoss app
> server, rather than starting up ACE on it's own port.

ACE uses the Felix Jetty component, that also offers a way to “bridge” to an existing webserver. There is some documentation about that on the Felix website. I never tried this with ACE, but I see no reason why that should not work (in fact, I’d consider it a bug, so we would look into that).

Good luck and if you’re stuck, keep asking questions! :)

Greetings, Marcel

Re: ACE 2.0.1 web UI not showing associations after drag?

Posted by Guy Davis <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the quick response.  Sorry about the images I included not
getting through.  After adding more items into the various columns of the
Apache ACE web UI, I now see that a row highlighting approach is being used
to indicate the contains relation.  Makes sense now that I see it with
other items not selected for context.

Ideally, I'd like to reuse this web UI inside our current admin console,
possibly as an iframe.  I'm not sure that customer system admins will want
to  work at the level of artifacts however, which I understand to be the
items offered up by the OBR.  It would be nice to offer them a list of
available features and/or distributions (aka products @ version).  Perhaps
I just need to think more about the packaging levels however.

Regarding embedding ACE (server and target) into each existing JBoss
server, is this possible?  Ideally, I'd like to use the existing JBoss app
server, rather than starting up ACE on it's own port.

Thanks again,
Guy

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.eu>.
Hello Guy,