Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2005/08/27 01:40:05 UTC

[Cookie2] First impressions

Samit,

These are my first impressions about the overall design. All my
suggestions are primarily intended to minimize the impact on the
existing API. They are not necessarily the best ideas from the design
perspective. However, since we are redesigning 3.0 API anyway, I
personally do not see a big problem with that.

(1) We should not change the CookieSpec interface. I am not entirely
sure CookieSpec#getCookieVersion() is necessary at all. I think the
CookiePolicy class can be used instead to achieve the same net result. A
method of the CookiePolicy class that returns a cookie spec given the
cookie version may well do the job

(2) Cookie class changed to include RFC2965 specific attributes. I would
rather extend Cookie class and put all RFC2965 specific attributes into
a Cookie2 class, if that is feasible.

(3) We have 39 failing test cases

Test cases breakage must be fixed before the deadline. Other stuff is
subjective and thus can be addressed past Sept 1st, provided you agree
with my points

Oleg

Re: [Cookie2] First impressions

Posted by Samit Jain <ja...@gmail.com>.
Roland,
Thats a good argument. I would like to add that even if the server is
RFC 2965 compliant or understands multiple cookie specs in the same
header (which I highly doubt), there is a high probability that it is
backward compliant with old specification and will understand old
style formatted cookies. In addition to this, we also send a Cookie2
header which informs the RFC 2965 compliant server that the client
understands Set-cookie2 cookies.

Samit

Posted by Roland Weber <RO...@de.ibm.com>.
Hi Samit,

Posted by Samit Jain <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Samit Jain <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I have created a new patch file (against
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/httpclient/branches/COOKIE_2_BRANCH/)
and attached it to bugzilla Bug 10813. I have also added this new file
(httpcookie2SVN-patch.082805-2100.diff) to
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/httpc-cookie2/httpc-cookie2/.

Summary of changes:
- Added Cookie2 class
- Added TestCookie2 class
- Updated RFC2965Spec class
- Updated TestCookieRFC2965Spec class

Current Status:
- Passed all tests
- Refactored code as per developers' comments
- Some TODOs remaining to be resolved in RFC2965Spec class.

Please review the code and let me know your valuable comments. Also,
please have a quick look at the TODO items in RFC2965Spec class and
let me know your suggestions.

thanks,
Samit.

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Samit,

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Samit Jain <ja...@gmail.com>.
Oleg,

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Hey Oleg,

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: [Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

[Cookie2] Patch checked in

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 18:06 -0700, Samit Jain wrote:
> Hi Oleg,

Hi Samit,

I have just check-in your patch pretty much as is. Please review if
everything is as it should be:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/httpclient/branches/COOKIE_2_BRANCH/

Most important is to fix the test case breakage. There are 39 test
failures, mostly in TestCookieCompatibilitySpec and
TestCookieRFC2109Spec test suites. That means your patch is likely to
have broken code in other cookie specs. Please see what can be done
about it.

I'll continue with the code review and will be committing small changes
here and there. I'll leave all the major changes up to you. Nonetheless,
just in case do update your local snapshot before creating patches. As
of now please test your code and create patches against the
COOKIE_2_BRANCH, not trunk

I'll be posting to the dev list about all my findings during the process
of the code review. So, stay tuned

Cheers,

Oleg