Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Brett Hales <br...@baesystems.com> on 2002/11/08 00:44:17 UTC

Suspected Apache::AuthenNTLM Bug

I believe that there is a bug in the Apache::AuthenNTLM module.

Configuration:

I have an Apache server with ColdFusion MX 6 installed, there is a
requirement for NTLM authentication with the server.

I implemented the PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthenNTLM to solve this
problem.

Problem:

With ColdFusion you can call the same page eg the line_main2.cfm can be
called from the line_main2.cfm with different parameters. Unfortunately
the client PC does not seem to pass the NTLM/Basic Authorization Header
the second time the page is called.

An error appears in the error.log

[Fri Nov  8 09:03:58 2002] [error] access to
/cf_dev/objectives/line_main2.cfm failed for  , reason: Bad/Missing
NTLM/Basic Authorization Header for /cf_dev/objectives/line_main2.cfm

Configuration:

Apache::AuthenNTLM (version 0.21)

Server version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)

httpd.conf

Alias /cf_dev/objectives/ "/baewwwroot/cf_dev/objectives/"

<Directory "/baewwwroot/cf_dev/objectives">
        Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
        PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthenNTLM
        AuthType ntlm
        AuthName "Windows Authentication Required"
        require valid-user
        PerlAddVar ntdomain "BAEA baeapdc sbntfp1"
        PerlAddVar ntdomain "BAEADEV bantdev1"
        PerlSetVar defaultdomain BAEA
</Directory>

--
Brett Hales

Re: Suspected Apache::AuthenNTLM Bug

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> With ColdFusion you can call the same page eg the line_main2.cfm can be
> called from the line_main2.cfm with different parameters. Unfortunately
> the client PC does not seem to pass the NTLM/Basic Authorization Header
> the second time the page is called.

Maybe this is handled via a subrequest. To test this I send you the newest
version. Please install it and set

PerlSetVar ntlmdebug 2

run your request and send me the output from the httpd error log

Gerald

Re: Suspected Apache::AuthenNTLM Bug

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On 8 Nov 2002, Brett Hales wrote:

> I believe that there is a bug in the Apache::AuthenNTLM module.

Did you see this?

73,
Ged.

Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:46:15 -0600 (CST)
From: Gerald Combs <ge...@ethereal.com>
To: modperl@apache.org
Subject: NTLM Authentication patch

We recently installed AuthenNTLM where I work, and ran into the POST
problems described in the thread at

After looking through a couple of network traces I think I've found the
problem.  It appears that after IE authenticates via NTLM, it sends type 1
messages for subsequent requests during a keepalive session.  This is fine
and dandy unless you're sending a POST request - when it sends the type 1
message, it also sends a "Content-length: 0", and doesn't append the POST
data.  Since the browser has successfully authenticated itself earlier in
the keepalive session, AuthenNTLM validates the request and a POST with no
accompanying POST data gets passed to the server.

Attached is a patch against the 0.21 release that fixes this behavior (in
our environment, at any rate).  I know very little about NTLM
authentication and mod_perl coding, so the patch may not be entirely
correct.