Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/14 12:24:43 UTC

[Stage/release plugin]: avoid reuploading of artifacts

Hi all,
I have a problem with the stage plugin, or probably with the release plugin.
When the staged artifacts have been promoted, they need to be copied
to the main repository.
The stage plugin does the work well, however it is very slow because
it downloads the artifacts and reupload them.
The plugin does this even if they are on the same physical server.
It would be nice if there is a mechanism that copies the artifacts and
*merge* only the metadata when on the same server.

I open (and closed) an issue related to this problem, that proposes a
mechanism to solve the problem with minimal impact:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-558
However, this is not feasible when more releases are done at the same time.

WDYT?

Thanks
Antonio

Re: [Stage/release plugin]: avoid reuploading of artifacts

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On May 14, 2010, at 9:30 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> 2010/5/14 Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>:

>>> I see your point Jason, and I must admit that Nexus is a great piece
>>> of software.
>>> However I think that using Nexus only to move artifacts and merge a
>>> pair of XML files is exaggerated.
>>
>> It does a lot more then that. We haven't used the stage plugin ourselves for almost a year at this point.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I've never meant to be offensive.

I'm not offended.

> Nexus is great
> and it's staging suite is great, however (inverting the words I wrote
> so far) using Nexus for simple needs like moving artifacts and merging
> metadata is overkill.

Then don't use it.

>>> Probably the stage plugin could be modified only to merge metadata.
>>> After that, a simple script that copies the other files could be
>>> executed.
>>>

>> I suggest you fork it out to github and do what you like with it. We really don't need it here anymore.
>
> Actually I am an Apache Tiles PMC member, can I fork it in the sandbox?

I would suggest elsewhere because I don't see this as a plugin we ever want to support. No one has done anything on it and I would never recommend using it. So I would just take it out of the Maven purview because no one here is interested in it.

> Thanks
> Antonio

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: [Stage/release plugin]: avoid reuploading of artifacts

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

> Actually I am an Apache Tiles PMC member, can I fork it in the sandbox?

Nexus is doing a lot more at Apache than just copying and merging xml
files. It's also doing basic sanity checks on the pom, signatures,
etc. It no longer requires you to care about file based permissions
and lots of other issues using the old repo. The other benefit is that
the forge repos are synced hourly instead of every 2 days. I suggest
you convert to the new repo. Actually I think Tiles is one of the few
projects left on the old repo.

Re: [Stage/release plugin]: avoid reuploading of artifacts

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2010/5/14 Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>:

> On May 14, 2010, at 6:57 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:
>
>> 2010/5/14 Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>:
>>> I create the stage plugin as a stopgap for releases at Apache until we had a better solution. We are now using Nexus here to stage and promote releases. The stage plugin is just not very good and I don't recommend using it. It's actually one of the plugins I would like to push to the attic here, it's not something I'll be looking now that we have a solution.
>>
>> I see your point Jason, and I must admit that Nexus is a great piece
>> of software.
>> However I think that using Nexus only to move artifacts and merge a
>> pair of XML files is exaggerated.
>
> It does a lot more then that. We haven't used the stage plugin ourselves for almost a year at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I've never meant to be offensive. Nexus is great

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On May 14, 2010, at 6:57 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> 2010/5/14 Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>:
>> I create the stage plugin as a stopgap for releases at Apache until we had a better solution. We are now using Nexus here to stage and promote releases. The stage plugin is just not very good and I don't recommend using it. It's actually one of the plugins I would like to push to the attic here, it's not something I'll be looking now that we have a solution.
>
> I see your point Jason, and I must admit that Nexus is a great piece
> of software.
> However I think that using Nexus only to move artifacts and merge a
> pair of XML files is exaggerated.

It does a lot more then that. We haven't used the stage plugin ourselves for almost a year at this point.

> Probably the stage plugin could be modified only to merge metadata.
> After that, a simple script that copies the other files could be
> executed.

I suggest you fork it out to github and do what you like with it. We really don't need it here anymore.

> Antonio

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

 -— Alan Perlis

Re: [Stage/release plugin]: avoid reuploading of artifacts

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.

On May 14, 2010, at 6:24 AM, Antonio Petrelli wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a problem with the stage plugin, or probably with the release plugin.
> When the staged artifacts have been promoted, they need to be copied
> to the main repository.
> The stage plugin does the work well, however it is very slow because
> it downloads the artifacts and reupload them.
> The plugin does this even if they are on the same physical server.
> It would be nice if there is a mechanism that copies the artifacts and
> *merge* only the metadata when on the same server.
>
> I open (and closed) an issue related to this problem, that proposes a
> mechanism to solve the problem with minimal impact:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-558
> However, this is not feasible when more releases are done at the same time.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks
> Antonio

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Simplex sigillum veri. (Simplicity is the seal of truth.)