Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/05 09:23:52 UTC

[Discuss] Using XenServer 6.2's Clone-on-Boot feature on CloudStack

Hi guys,

Is anyone concerned about using XenServer 6.2's clone-on-boot feature on
CloudStack? With it, we can quickly deploy a huge of VMs from a single
golden template. This is amazing for some scenarios. For example: we can
allocate a special/dedicated cluster with only one golden template. And
when an update or patch be applied to golden template, changes
automatically apply to every VMs.

Thought?

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

Re: [Discuss] Using XenServer 6.2's Clone-on-Boot feature on CloudStack

Posted by Harikrishna Patnala <ha...@citrix.com>.
If we can control fall back of IntelliCache reads and writes back to the storage then it won't hinder with host maintenance mode and Xenmotion, and I think it helps handling volatile VMs without recreating the root disks.

Thanks,
Harikrishna

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
2013/8/9 Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>

> I think Intellicache is different. I found a discussion here:
> http://s.apache.org/NIX

I see no different. Maybe I didn't explain obviously. Let see it:
http://speakvirtual.com/2012/02/06/intellicache-what-how-and-when/
http://blogs.citrix.com/2011/06/22/xendesktop-and-local-storage-intellicache/

A short clip describes visually here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6ojYDdrLA

> Also, this feature https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/zCPVAQ allows the
> same use case as the 'update to golden master'

Yeah, same same. And It will be a great feature for VDI environment like
XenDesktop or VMWare View.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Murali Reddy <Mu...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chiradeep,

Exactly Intellicache. As I know, to use this, VDIs on XenServer/XCP must be
set two params:
+ on-boot = persist (or reset). If persist, VM's data (except OS) will be
keep when reboot. Otherwise, it will be destroy on local SR when setting to

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.