Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Kölle <ch...@switch.ch> on 2008/02/20 13:09:43 UTC

Problem with property inheritance in maven site plugin

Hi all

I have a problem with the property inheritance in the maven site project.

I have a multi-module project. The base pom looks like this:

<project>

  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>my.project</groupId>
  <artifactId>all</artifactId>
  <packaging>pom</packaging>
  <version>${project.version}</version>

  <properties>
    <project.version>1.0</project.version>
  </properties>

</project>

The poms of the subprojects look like this:

<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <parent>
    <groupId>my.project</groupId>
    <artifactId>all</artifactId>
    <version>${project.version}</version>
    <relativePath>../Build/pom.xml</relativePath>
  </parent>
</project>

This works fine for the install goal (wich use a lot of different
plugins for special purposes) but not for the site plugin. A call to
"mvn site" produces the following error:

[INFO] [site:stage]
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/my/project/${project.version}/all-${project.version}.pom
[INFO] Parent project loaded from repository.
[INFO] Parent project loaded from repository.
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/my/project/${project.version}/all-${project.version}-site_en.xml
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The site descriptor cannot be resolved from the repository: No
such file or directory

When I change to explicit version numbers in both poms everything works
fine. Obviously the site plugin has problems with resolving the property.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Christian

Re: Problem with property inheritance in maven site plugin

Posted by Christian Kölle <ch...@switch.ch>.
VUB Stefan Seidel wrote:

> ${project.version} is an internal maven property, so it is absolutely
> not a good idea to use it. So the first try should be to rename that one.

Hi

Obviously this was a bad example. In my real poms the variable has
another name. I changed that in the mail because i don't want to expose
internal details of our application and haven't thought about the name
very well.

So this is not the problem.

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
Hi,

${project.version} is an internal maven property, so it is absolutely
not a good idea to use it. So the first try should be to rename that one.

Stefan

Christian Kölle wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a problem with the property inheritance in the maven site project.
>
> I have a multi-module project. The base pom looks like this:
>
> <project>
>
>   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>   <groupId>my.project</groupId>
>   <artifactId>all</artifactId>
>   <packaging>pom</packaging>
>   <version>${project.version}</version>
>
>   <properties>
>     <project.version>1.0</project.version>
>   </properties>

> </project>
>
> The poms of the subprojects look like this:
>
> <project>
>   <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
>   <parent>
>     <groupId>my.project</groupId>
>     <artifactId>all</artifactId>
>     <version>${project.version}</version>
>     <relativePath>../Build/pom.xml</relativePath>
>   </parent>
> </project>
>
> This works fine for the install goal (wich use a lot of different
> plugins for special purposes) but not for the site plugin. A call to
> "mvn site" produces the following error:
>
> [INFO] [site:stage]
> Downloading:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/my/project/${project.version}/all-${project.version}.pom
> [INFO] Parent project loaded from repository.
> [INFO] Parent project loaded from repository.
> Downloading:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/my/project/${project.version}/all-${project.version}-site_en.xml
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] The site descriptor cannot be resolved from the repository: No
> such file or directory
>
> When I change to explicit version numbers in both poms everything works
> fine. Obviously the site plugin has problems with resolving the property.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Christian

best regards,