Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/04 20:54:10 UTC

Our first Superset Apache release

Hi all,

Superset has been incubating at the ASF for quite a while now, and we have
yet to come up with our first official Apache release. We need a clear plan
and timeline to execute in that direction.

A few first steps I can see to go in that direction:
* start [VOTE] threads on upcoming Pypi releases until we're ready for our
first Apache release, and make it clear that these are not Apache releases.
* the main challenge is to sort out / crafting our LICENSE.txt file in the
repo. I started doing some work towards building a LICENSE.txt dynamically
out of NPM and Pypi metadata. Superset's dependency tree is huge. It looks
like this may need a fair amount of investigation and perhaps revising some
dependencies that we can't have, or making some deps optional.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/pull/5801
* Crafting the NOTICE file
* Name validation with Apache's legal team, I opened a JIRA a while back, I
think the ball is in Apache's court on this one.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-124
* Get ASF license headers in all source files in the repo. I did some work
on this already. https://github.com/apache/incubator-superset/pull/5800
* ?

Committers, please participate on this thread and get involved, we'll need
all the help we can get.

Thanks,

Max