Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by antalk <an...@intercommit.nl> on 2011/04/18 11:47:10 UTC

New component library

Hi all,

I've had the privilege to work on 2 web projects for our company for which i
made the decision to create them with Tapestry . (A good decision in my
opinion ;) )

As this progressed i create a shared components library for both projects
with some really interesting components like:

Dropdown Menu : A three layer dropdown menu
HoverLink :	A (ajax) popup balloon when hovering over links/ images
(http://www.beauscott.com/2008/03/02/helpballoonjs-version-20/)
ModalBox : See: http://okonet.ru/projects/modalbox/index.html
Pageable Grid : A pageable grid with lots of customizations
PopupWindow  : A javascript free popup window
Switch :	A switch component to render different blocks based on given input
TextMarker 	: Marks words out of a given text

Some are made with the input by some of the posters in this mailing list ,
others are created on a 'needs-to-have' base.

Now i want to give back this library to the community so others can make use
of it or contribute to it, but the big question is 'where do i put this
library?'
I want this library to have a git/svn repository so others can contribute /
extend functionality to it.

I know several others have been working or are working on 3rd party
component libraries and have their own site for it, others place it on
google code, or sourceforge..

Is there a SINGLE place , a Tapestry Component Hub, or something where all
of us can put our components in ? Or what is your opinion on this ?

And can i place my library (once released) on the Tapestry.org site ? or are
there some requirements to be fulfilled in order 'earn' a place on the
Tapestry site ?

Suggestions and remarks are very welcome.

 Antal

Re: New component library

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Currently, we are doing quite well using the Apache Jenkins instance
> for continuous integration (rather than the Bamboo running on
> Tapestry360). We also have the Apache snapshots repository.  I'd
> prefer if people stored their code at GitHub. That doesn't leave much
> for Tapestry 360.
>
> In addition, we can now update the Tapestry site in near-real-time, so
> maintaining a directory of Tapestry components on the Tapestry web
> site is quite reasonable.

Yep, for the current state of things this is the best solution. Put
code on github, post the github URL on the mailing list and let other
fork you.

Cheers
--
Massimo
http://meridio.blogspot.com

Re: New component library

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Christian Köberl
<ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there a SINGLE place , a Tapestry Component Hub, or something where all
>> of us can put our components in ? Or what is your opinion on this ?
>>
>> And can i place my library (once released) on the Tapestry.org site ? or
>> are
>> there some requirements to be fulfilled in order 'earn' a place on the
>> Tapestry site ?
>
> There's Tapestry 360 hosted by Formos (http://tapestry.formos.com/) - but
> the link to the howto create a new project doesn't work anymore
> (http://tapestry.formos.com/wiki/x/BAAm).

I'm afraid not.

I'm not sure of my relationship with Formos at this point, I haven't
worked there in almost two years.

Currently, we are doing quite well using the Apache Jenkins instance
for continuous integration (rather than the Bamboo running on
Tapestry360). We also have the Apache snapshots repository.  I'd
prefer if people stored their code at GitHub. That doesn't leave much
for Tapestry 360.

In addition, we can now update the Tapestry site in near-real-time, so
maintaining a directory of Tapestry components on the Tapestry web
site is quite reasonable.

> @Howard: is this page still the recommended place to host your Tapestry
> extenstion?
>
> --
> Chris

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: New component library

Posted by Christian Köberl <ta...@gmail.com>.

Re: New component library

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Playing devils advocate here for a bit ..

---------
Sounds like a lot of work for a feature that many people would like
but are not willing to put the time in for it.

Also, such a repository is a blessing and a curse - on many of the
"plugin repositories" that I've seen (e.g. jquery, grails, netbeans),
after a while it becomes a dumping ground for unmaintained plugins
that reflects negatively on the parent project -e.g. if I get a crummy
plugin from tapestry.apache.org/plugins, I'll be bitching on this list
that the plugin sucks and is not maintained (which the core Tap devs
have nothing to do with).

Given the current reluctance (understandable) of the core T5 team to
add even existing and well used components under the Tapestry
umbrella, I don't see this happening.

--------------

Cheers,

Alex K

Re: New component library

Posted by antalk <an...@intercommit.nl>.

Re: New component library

Posted by Nikola Milikic <ni...@gmail.com>.
Just my 2 cents regarding this general issue of third-party components being
listed at one place.

Take a look at the Vaadim's add-ons directory <http://vaadin.com/directory>.
jQuery has the similar thing <http://plugins.jquery.com/>. I think it would
be totally cool to have the similar site for Tapestry, one place add-on
directory or in our case a directory of components, modules etc.. It could
either offer direct downloads (jars) and/or snippet for maven dependency or
just a link to the project website. Code examples could be given also,
screenshots, ratings etc.

This would surely boost the acceptance of the Tapestry by the Java web
developers and would sure help new users start quickly. And if it would be
implemented using Tapestry itself... :D Just thinking out loud.

Best,
Nikola

Email: nikola.milikic@gmail.com

Re: New component library