Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Charlie Smith <Sm...@ldschurch.org> on 2003/03/08 00:21:15 UTC

how to take advantage of mod_perl and analize effectiveness of efforts?

A couple questions:
In order to take advantage of mod_perl, do you need to restart the apache
server, after making changes to a perl routine?

What is being cached by the mod_perl?  Is is just the perl executable, or
compiled in modules, or modules you have
written in cgi directories?

How to tell if code is being cached?

Can user code be made to use mod_perl caching?

How to optimize code to make more efficient under mod_perl?

So, basically, how to take advantage of mod_perl and analize effectiveness of
efforts?

a little puzzled,
Charlie Smith
x2791
3/7/03

This message may contain confidential information, and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.

Re: how to take advantage of mod_perl and analize effectiveness of efforts?

Posted by "Ken Y. Clark" <kc...@logsoft.com>.
On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Charlie Smith wrote:

> Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:21:15 -0700
> From: Charlie Smith <Sm...@ldschurch.org>
> To: modperl@perl.apache.org
> Cc: rx@rxlist.com
> Subject: how to take advantage of mod_perl and analize effectiveness of
>     efforts?
>
> A couple questions:
> In order to take advantage of mod_perl, do you need to restart the apache
> server, after making changes to a perl routine?
>
> What is being cached by the mod_perl?  Is is just the perl executable, or
> compiled in modules, or modules you have
> written in cgi directories?
>
> How to tell if code is being cached?
>
> Can user code be made to use mod_perl caching?
>
> How to optimize code to make more efficient under mod_perl?
>

> So, basically, how to take advantage of mod_perl and analize effectiveness of
> efforts?
>
> a little puzzled,
> Charlie Smith
> x2791
> 3/7/03

Charlie,

I would say that most of your questions will be answered if you spend
a little time with the very excellent documentation which is available
for free here:

    http://perl.apache.org/guide

(I'm not trying to be rude here, but I can't summarize better for you
the answers to your questions than what has been already done.  This
is just a friendly RTFM.  :-)

ky

Re: how to take advantage of mod_perl and analize effectiveness of efforts?

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 18:21, Charlie Smith wrote:
> What is being cached by the mod_perl?

You should definitely read the mod_perl documentation that another
poster pointed you to.  However, let me address your core question about
what is being cached with mod_perl.

Technically, mod_perl doesn't cache any differently from Perl itself.
When Perl code gets compiled to bytecode it stays in memory until the
Perl interpreter exits.  The key difference between mod_perl and Perl
CGI is that mod_perl keeps the interpeter alive between requests and
thus keeps the compiled bytecode in memory as well.  This is what people
mean by caching code.

Some frameworks that you can use with mod_perl, like Mason or Embperl,
cache other things as well.  This is explained in their documentation.

There are ways of configuring mod_perl to automatically pick up changes
in your code.  This is all described in the mod_perl documentation.

- Perrin