Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2016/09/06 08:15:19 UTC

Re: Is the incubator full?

On 25/08/16 07:34, Sergio Fern�ndez wrote:
>> > I think you may be seeing signs of self-throttling. Basically if the
>> > new proposal
>> > comes in and there's nobody interested in mentoring it -- well the project
>> > won't
>> > go in.
>
> Well, that just 1% of the work. Every body could easily volunteer for
> mentoring; most os the work at that phase is done by the champion. But what
> really requires time is actually mentoring the podling. My feeling is (I
> have no figures) that is most of our current podling we have just 1-2
> active mentors. That would be another way to look to that detail.

That agrees with my experience.

A commitment to mentoring for 2 or more years is substantial. My
experience has been that mentors fade away for all the obvious reasons
of volunteers+(lack of)time.  Signing up to mentor is the easy part and
everyone is well-intentioned.

So is the incubator full?  No, but it needs to be careful about the
nature of the set of mentors.

	Andy

Re: Is the incubator full?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Is the incubator full?  No, but it needs to be careful about the nature
> of the set of mentors...

I fully agree with that, we should aim for podlings which are
"self-sustaining" in the sense that their mentors take care of them
with a minimal burden on the Incubator itself. That's self-regulating
based on the actual work that mentors are doing.

The downside of that is that we still need podlings to converge on a
common way of operating, so we need to make sure that the Incubator at
large takes a close look at the podling before graduating.

As mentioned before I think the project maturity model at
https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
is a good tool to help ask the right questions before graduation, and
I encourage every podling to publish their self-assessment based on
that before their graduation vote (example at [1]).

-Bertrand

[1]

https://github.com/apache/incubator-groovy/blob/576b3c5d6a7022ac4a8df1ef118666456ce627fb/MATURITY.adoc