Posted to common-commits@hadoop.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2016/06/20 07:42:19 UTC

[Hadoop Wiki] Update of "HowToCommit" by AkiraAjisaka

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Hadoop Wiki" for change notification.

The "HowToCommit" page has been changed by AkiraAjisaka:
https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToCommit?action=diff&rev1=35&rev2=36

Comment:
Documented how to add contributors

      1. Cherry-pick the changes to other appropriate branches via {{{git cherry-pick -x <commit-hash>}}}. The -x option records the source commit, and reuses the original commit message. Resolve any conflicts.
      1. If the conflicts are major, it is preferable to produce a new patch for that branch, review it separately and commit it. When committing an edited patch to other branches, please follow the same steps and make sure to include the JIRA number and description of changes in the commit message.
   1. Resolve the issue as fixed, thanking the contributor.  Always set the "Fix Version" at this point, but please only set a single fix version, the earliest release in which the change will appear. '''Special case'''- when committing to a ''non-mainline'' branch (such as branch-0.22 or branch-0.23 ATM), please set fix-version to either 2.x.x or 3.x.x appropriately too.
+  1. Set the assignee if it is not set. If you cannot set the contributor to the assignee, you need to add the contributor into Contributors role in the project. Please see [[#Roles|Adding Contributors role]] for the detail.

  This How-to-commit [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txW3m7qWdzw&feature=youtu.be|video]] has guidance on the commit process, albeit using svn. Most of the process is still the same, except that we now use git instead.

@@ -121, +122 @@

  As a security note, since the settings.xml file contains your Apache svn password in the clear, I prefer to leave the settings file encrypted using gpg when I'm not using it. I also don't ever publish from a shared machine, but that is just me being paranoid. :)

+ <<Anchor(Roles)>>
+ == Adding Contributors role ==
+
+ There are about three roles (Administrators, Committers, Contributors) for each project. (Common/HDFS/MapReduce/YARN)
+
+  * Contributors who have Contributors role can become assignee of the issues in the project.
+  * Committers who have Committers role can set arbitrary roles in addition to Contributors role.
+  * Committers who have Administrators role can edit or delete all comments, or even delete issues in addition to Committers role.
+
+ How to set roles
+
+  1. Login to ASF JIRA
+  1. Go to the project page (e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP )
+  1. Hit "Administration" tab
+  1. Hit "Roles" tab in left side
+  1. Add Administrators/Committers/Contributors role
+
+ The upper limit of the Contributors role is about 400, and we can hit the limit easily. When we hit the limit, we need to reduce the number of contributors by the followings:
+
+  1. Find committers who have only Contributors role
+  1. Add them into Committers role
+  1. Remove them from Contributors role
+
+ However, this is a temporary solution. Probably we need to do one of the followings in the near future.
+
+  * Create contributor2 role to increase the limit
+  * Remove contributors who have not been active for a long time
+
  == Dialog ==

  Committers should hang out in the #hadoop room on irc.freenode.net for real-time discussions.  However any substantive discussion (as with any off-list project-related discussion) should be re-iterated in JIRA or on the developer list.