Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Arrowx7 <al...@yahoo.com> on 2010/03/21 23:51:44 UTC

Including a local jar in the build

Hello,
I migrated from ant to maven and just wanted to include the jars (for now
before we set up a repo).
  <repositories>
      <repository>
          <id>project</id>
          <name>Project Maven Repository</name>
          <layout>default</layout>
          <url>file://${basedir}/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib</url>
      </repository>
  </repositories>

Then I write dependencies, such as for apache commons logging

    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
        <artifactId>commons-logging-1.1.1</artifactId>
        <version></version>
    </dependency>

It complains because it wants the version, if I give it the version it says
it can't find it.  How do I just get this jar in there without setting up
your own repository and installing it to repository, generating version
etc... I just want to simply linclude that file in there.  I realize that
it's bad format, but how do I tell it to just grab that file regardless of
version.

Thanks

Re: Including a local jar in the build

Posted by Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <ed...@kalinowski.com.br>.
Arrowx7 wrote:
> Hello,
> I migrated from ant to maven and just wanted to include the jars (for now
> before we set up a repo).
>   <repositories>
>       <repository>
>           <id>project</id>
>           <name>Project Maven Repository</name>
>           <layout>default</layout>
>           <url>file://${basedir}/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib</url>
>       </repository>
>   </repositories>
>
> Then I write dependencies, such as for apache commons logging
>
>     <dependency>
>         <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
>         <artifactId>commons-logging-1.1.1</artifactId>
>         <version></version>
>     </dependency>
>
> It complains because it wants the version, if I give it the version it says
> it can't find it.  How do I just get this jar in there without setting up
> your own repository and installing it to repository, generating version
> etc... I just want to simply linclude that file in there.  I realize that
> it's bad format, but how do I tell it to just grab that file regardless of
> version.

Use the "system" scope for your dependencies.

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Re: Including a local jar in the build

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> Is there a way to just load that file with no questions asked?

Put those files in this directory structure as shown in the error message:
> file:///home/a/src/client_pom/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/org/apache/commons/commons-logging-1.1.1/1.1.1/commons-logging-1.1.1-1.1.1.pom
> file:///home/a/src/client_pom/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/org/apache/commons/commons-logging-1.1.1/1.1.1/commons-logging-1.1.1-1.1.1.jar

I do not like the scope system as suggested by Eduardo for several
reasons. Do NOT use system.

Wayne

Re: Including a local jar in the build

Posted by Arrowx7 <al...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, thanks for your response.
I migrated from ant, where I had a libs folder.  I just wanted to keep using
the libs folder for now as I migrate to using repositories.  Is there a way
to direct maven to load libraries from a local folder?  I did it like this:
  <repositories>
      <repository>
          <id>project</id>
          <name>Project Maven Repository</name>
          <layout>default</layout>
          <url>file://${basedir}/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib</url>
      </repository>
  </repositories>

But when I try to load a dependency from that repo:

    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.apache.commons</groupId>
        <artifactId>commons-logging-1.1.1</artifactId>
        <version>1.1.1</version>
    </dependency>

I get this:
Downloading:
file:///home/a/src/client_pom/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/org/apache/commons/commons-logging-1.1.1/1.1.1/commons-logging-1.1.1-1.1.1.pom
Unable to find resource 'org.apache.commons:commons-logging-1.1.1:pom:1.1.1'
in repository project
(file:///home/a/src/client_pom/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib)
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/commons-logging-1.1.1/1.1.1/commons-logging-1.1.1-1.1.1.pom
Unable to find resource 'org.apache.commons:commons-logging-1.1.1:pom:1.1.1'
in repository central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
Downloading:
file:///home/a/src/client_pom/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/org/apache/commons/commons-logging-1.1.1/1.1.1/commons-logging-1.1.1-1.1.1.jar
Unable to find resource 'org.apache.commons:commons-logging-1.1.1:jar:1.1.1'
in repository project
(file:///home/a/src/client_pom/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/lib)

Is there a way to just load that file with no questions asked?

Thank you!!

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.