Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com> on 2001/04/20 21:22:25 UTC

extension headers and SSL

for one thing (details below).  Any one have any ideas what might be missing?

Details:

We are developing a J2EE application with Apache 1.3.12 (and above) and
Tomcat 3.2.1 on Linux and Solaris.  In places the UI relies on XHTML
generated from JSPs, in other places on applets.  Several portions of our
application uses HTTP headers to pass information between the JSPs and the
applets:  The JSP will call

	response.setHeader( "my-custom-header", someString );

and the applet gets this value by calling

	URLConnection c = someURL.openConnection();
	String  someString = c.getHeaderField( "my-custom-header" );

This approach is okay with the HTTP/1.1 spec as an extension header (para.
7.1).  When I run this code one Apache-Tomcat, all is well--my applet sees
what the JSP sets.

We've installed Stronghold 3.0 on a Solaris box.  Tomcat 3.2.1 has also
been installed, configured, and tested with Stronghold using mod_jk.  The
above method of passing information works fine with Stronghold only so long
as SSL is not used.  Connecting via http:// works fine.  However, when
connecting with SSL, via https://, the URLConnection.getHeaderField()
method returns null.

Can anyone help us out here?  I think this should be allowable under SSL as
it is without it.  Is there something I need to add to my configuration?

Thanks for your help.
Thad Humphries                  "If the misery of our poor be caused not
Web Development Manager          by the laws of nature but by our institu-
Phone: 540/675-3015, ext. 225    tions, great is our sin."  Charles Darwin

JSPs and PATH_INFO

Posted by Thad Humphries <th...@mindwrap.com>.
Is there any way to get a JSP to recognize response.getPathInfo() (a.k.a.,
a CGI's PATH_INFO) the same way a servlet does?  When I call
http://localhost/examples/servlet/RequestInfoExample/blahblahblah I get a
path info of 'blahblahblah' but if
http://localhost/examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/blahblahblah I get a 404 File
not found on examples/jsp/snp/snoop.jsp/blahblahblah
Thad Humphries                       "'Open Systems' means no fences. And
Web Development Manager               no fences means no need for Gates."
Phone: 540/675-3015, ext. 225                           - Sun Microsystems